21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: need advice (newbie)
Created on: 03/17/12 12:03 AM Views: 2286 Replies: 7
need advice (newbie)
Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I have never eaten fruits or vegetables, with the exception of corn, potatoes and baked beans. Carrots, peas, apples, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, celery etc..I cannot even imagine eating those things!!...but I'd really like stop eating meat.
I have tried many of the meat alternatives available, at the grocery - but (to me), they are just nasty...
Are there any suggestions for recipes that I might try??
I realize this sounds like a spam message on a site like this..but I am seriously looking for advice..
thanks in advance

RE: need advice (newbie)
Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Wow, good for you for exploring this option.

This may sound odd, but when I try a veggie I am not as familiar with, or not one of my favorites I use it in a stirfry and I julienne cut it. For some reason I can sneak things in until I get used to their taste if it is in small bites not a mouthful.

One of my ALL time favorite meals is a water sautee of bits and pieces of every veggie I have in the house over rice. I eat some version of this every day and I love it.

The next regular to show up for a meal is rice, beans, corn, tomato, cilantro and sometimes avocado on top.

I would encourage to you experiment and remember the flavors change with cooking methods. I wish you all the best on this journey and am quite proud of you for undertaking it! There is a great group of people here and I am sure they will have great ideas for you.

Best wishes!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Oh and as for the alternatives, I avoid them. Processed, packaged and I try to avoid those. Whole foods are the best thing you can give your body. Your body will love you for it!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Thanks Oceandog!!..It's the texture of fruits/vegetables(that crunchy/squishy)I can't seem to get past..I will try some some recipes that maybe make them more easier to tolerate..I have always wanted to be a vegetarian, just didn't know where to start..

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

This IS the place to start. I would try them raw, slightly cooked, steamed, baked, broiled, etc... play. Find a veg restaurant with good reviews and experiment. You will find something you like. Start there. Start strong. As your palette refines, you will find more foods that taste good. Dr. Barnard has written books about the addiction of foods. Our bodies get addicted and our taste buds are junkies. Once you break that cycle, you will find a lot more foods will taste really good to you. I eat things now that I would not have even considered years ago.

Share with friends, meet veg people. Have fun in the process, realize you are telling your body "love you" and do the best you can.

If my mother had done this years ago, we would not be battling what the doctors feel is terminal cancer. Please be kind to your body. It is the only one you get. The meats, cheese, milk, dairy, eggs, etc... they only cause harm.

Give yourself a hug and SMILE because you are up to something awesome!

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 5:04 AM

So many people develop the thought that they like or dislike something in childhood and never let that thought die. Even those veggies that you think you don't like, when was the last time you tried them? And have you tried it prepared a different way? Oven roasted? Grilled? Stir fried with rice? Dipped in hummus? In a pita? Raw?

My husband was adamant that he didn't like cauliflower, but he eats it now. Come to find out his mother used to cook it to mush and then bury it in some kind of buttery, runny, cheese sauce. Now he eats it raw with some kind of dip or hummus, broken into small pieces in a salad, or lightly steamed. Same with broccoli.

I love Brussels sprouts. I've had people tell me they can't stand them, then upon further discussion admit they have never even eaten one!! They just THINK they don't like them because of some unknown influence, probably from childhood.

Clear your mind of preconcieved ideas, past experiences and start trying one new veggie a week. Find an appetizing sounding recipe (or 2 or 3) or cooking method and just TRY IT.

IF all else fails you could lean on smoothies. Many people make green smoothies with veggies, but add enough fruit to make it palatable to them and get their veggies that way. Please only use that as a last resort. Learning to love a good number of veggies is going to help you live a much healthier life.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, March 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

yeah - most people think of vegetables as 'those mushy things that Mom boiled that went next to the meat and potatoes. We were made to eat a bite before we could leave the table. Yuck!'

Consider looking at types of cuisine in general that you've never had - whether it's Asian or South American or whatever. That will take some of the pre-conceived notion out of the vegetables and all.

Also, you mention the crunchy/squishy - is it that you dislike when it's both at the same time or that you dislike both crunchy and squishy? Do you like soups at all? That's a great way to get tender veggies into the mix - for that matter, you can make creamy type soups where there's no "visible" chunks of veggies. Things like winter squashes (acorn, butternut, etc) make luscious, nutritious, yummy soups but are designed to not have 'chunks'. And, bonus, they're really simple to make from scratch. Or, you can do soupy soups (akin to chicken noodle) with vegetable stock and lots of other veggies in it - they aren't crunchy at all, firm/tender mostly. And, too, soups can handle adding things like beans, lentils, quinoa as well which bumps up the protein and fiber levels. There's a red lentil soup around here somewhere that is excellent (and not too much on the veggies - mostly just tomato I think).

If there's a veggie you want to try but aren't sure how to prepare it, ask here - these long timers have loads of ideas tucked away.

--Deb R

Posted Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

another rookie

Best DVD -pretty little liars season 2 dvd makes our recommandation rewarding.

Edited 08/04/12 1:21 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 566 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org