21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: cholesterol
Created on: 06/24/12 01:04 PM Views: 1560 Replies: 7
cholesterol
Posted Sunday, June 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM

i am on lipitor and although my cholesterol is down to 115 my doctor suggests I stay on it. He says that once you have had high cholesterol there is plaque formed and even though the numbers are now lower you should stay on it to avoid any problems with the plaque already formed. Has anyone heard this theory?

RE: cholesterol
Posted Sunday, June 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I've never heard that theory and frankly I wouldn't buy it. I would probably stop the drugs or at the very least get a second opinion. It could be a Dr. McDougall question, maybe email him.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, June 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM

good idea - i will try to email him. I would prefer to be off the medication Smile

Posted Sunday, June 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Maybe consider a second opinion. I know it's a pain to make the time, but it might be well worth it.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I know that there are a couple of cholesterol lowering meds that also tout the ability to help remove existing plaque in the blood vessels. Whether it actually does that is a whole other story. So, based on the info that if you have a history of high cholesterol you likely have plaque deposits already and that there are meds that purportedly help clear that up, it would make 'sense' (from an MD pov) to stay on the meds once your cholesterol is controlled to help with clean up of the blood vessels.

For my hubby, the genetic side of the equation is why he'll likely be staying on his meds for the forseeable future (especially since he's already had a TIA).

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I know that there are a couple of cholesterol lowering meds that also tout the ability to help remove existing plaque in the blood vessels. Whether it actually does that is a whole other story. So, based on the info that if you have a history of high cholesterol you likely have plaque deposits already and that there are meds that purportedly help clear that up, it would make 'sense' (from an MD pov) to stay on the meds once your cholesterol is controlled to help with clean up of the blood vessels.

For my hubby, the genetic side of the equation is why he'll likely be staying on his meds for the forseeable future (especially since he's already had a TIA).

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Thanks Deb ! I guess there could be reason to stay on it. I am wondering how long after your cholesterol is lower would it make sense to continue. I will speak to my dr. and see if maybe it makes sense to taper off. Thanks for the input.. always so helpful Smile

Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

summerleigh wrote:

Thanks Deb ! I guess there could be reason to stay on it. I am wondering how long after your cholesterol is lower would it make sense to continue. I will speak to my dr. and see if maybe it makes sense to taper off. Thanks for the input.. always so helpful Smile

I suppose one thing to consider is family history since genetics is involved. Hubby was able to get his blood pressure and cholesterol better with diet and exercise but no matter what it kept creeping out of range, thus medication was needed to help.

If there's a specific concern (from your dr) as far as plaque build up in the blood vessels, maybe s/he could order an ultrasound or something (minimally intrusive) that could indicate the level of build up and then you'd both know.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 399 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org