21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: protein sources and surimi?
Created on: 01/09/13 12:04 PM Views: 963 Replies: 5
protein sources and surimi?
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thank you all for the great support with mylast postings, you are all amazing =)

I feel very fortunate to discover this kickstart - and I think that's a sign itself, for me to keep trying and not quit! after all, even two weeks of being on this kickstart and trying my best, is better than saying 'oh forget it' and just going back to old habits, blindly or because I am lazy and don't WANT to do better.

Just a question - I am trying to make sure I get varied protein in my diet, and a little tired of beans lol. Now, I'm not exactly sure what 'surimi' is, but I have heard differing things.

Some people say it is not really fish - it is tofu, others say it's a type of sushi that's vegetarian, others say it's lobster?! I'm so confused lol..are there any benefits to surimi, in general is it good for you?

Thanks Very Happy

RE: protein sources and surimi?
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

It's fish based, so it's not vegan.

When I plan my day's food. I think of all the choices I have. I follow the power plate maybe not for everymeal but for the day.

I have 100s of different veggies. Did you know that brocholi is 30% protien.
I have many different beans to choose from. I love making my on soy milk and tofu. I even made milk from mung beans, it's slightly sweeter than soy, but the color is awful...lol
I have seeds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower. I love roasted butternut squash seeds! You can actually make milk from seeds too.
And so many fruits to choose from, especially here in California.

I don't even think about the foods I've given up. Mainly because I feel so much better about how I eat. But also food is never boring anymore. I can eat what I like and not ever have to measure a portion. I actually have more choices for eating than I ever did on a conventional American diet.

Somewhere along the way my mind made this shift and it wasn't forced. Eating is fun.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Agreed - it is traditionally a meat product. However, I'm sure it's possible to find it made from soy online or in specialty markets.

And thanks for the kind words about Kickstart! We're glad you found us!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Have you checked out quinoa and lentils? Very different look and texture compared to beans, easy to prepare and tasty.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

As long as your eating enough calories, you're getting enough protein. Don't worry about trying to find foods that are high in protein.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Whole wheat products have protein (e.g. bulghur, pitas, breads, pastas). So do other grains such as oatmeal, millet, and barley. Potatoes also do have quite a bit of protein in them!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 328 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: crademan

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org