21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Hi and question with soy milk
Created on: 05/06/12 01:06 AM Views: 1497 Replies: 8
Hi and question with soy milk
Posted Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Hi guys!

Its great to find this community, I missed the April Kickstart but I'm trying for May! I figure never too late to try vegan lifestyle.

I always struggle with the dairy part so I need some convincing...what's wrong with dairy milk, and is even yogurt, frozen yogurt and ice cream similarly not good?

I am a little afraid of soy milk, being female - I've heard it contains too much estrogen or rather it increases the estrogen levels of girls and that's not good...but then again I thought dairy milk also had estrogen.

Are there non-dairy milks that don't increase estrogen at all and are better alternatives to soy?

RE: Hi and question with soy milk
Posted Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Here is a list of plant milks.

http://pinterest.com/pin/260927372130842460/

You should not drink soy milk if you are afraid, even though your fear will hurt you more than the soy will. The evidence is strong that soy is good for you (real and traditional soy foods, not the processed soyfoods the food industry is now pushing.). Do some research and read the reputable sources. Start here:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/soy-and-your-health

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Here is a direct link for that plant milk article, in case you are not familiar with pinterest

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/foodandhealth/the-ultimate-guide-to-plant-based-milks/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-ultimate-guide-to-plant-based-milks

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Viola18 wrote:

I always struggle with the dairy part so I need some convincing...what's wrong with dairy milk, and is even yogurt, frozen yogurt and ice cream similarly not good?

Hi Viola - welcome to the club! Smile

Others on the forum will have much more scientific answers for you re: dairy consumption, but the long and short of it is: it IS an animal product so therefore cannot be consumed if one is trying to stick to a plant-based diet.

For me, I don't consume it because I'm not a calf - and for me, that's who should be getting its mother's milk - not humans. It breaks my heart to think that we take a baby's milk so we can have ice-cream. The diary industry is directly connected to the beef industry, which is a cruel practice and I won't be part of it. There are many other health reasons to avoid dairy too, but that's the one the works for me.

There is lots of dairy information on the site if you just search "dairy" in the various forums. I'm sure you'll find many good explanations.

Congratulations on your choice to go plant-based! Feel free to ask any questions - there are lots of very friendly folk onboard here.

Cheers! Smile

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Viola18 wrote:

Are there non-dairy milks that don't increase estrogen at all and are better alternatives to soy?

1 - ice cream, yogurt, cheese are dairy, thus non-vegan. However, there ARE non-dairy alternatives. We love the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream (they make both a soy milk ice cream and a coconut milk ice cream so read the pkg for the 'non-dairy non-soy' label). It's still high in fat and sugar so it's good that it is a little pricey - it's a once in a while treat not an everyday thing.

2 - yes there are LOTS of non-dairy milk options besides soy milk (I tend to get 'weird' if I consume large 'lumps' of soy like tofu and soy milk). Our favorite, after trying several, is almond milk. We tried soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, rice milk, and oat milk. We found hemp to be too hmm "grassy" maybe is a good word. Soy, as mentioned, had me feeling 'weird' after about 3 days (even though I was only using about 1/2 cup per day on cereal). Rice milk tasted too ricey - which might be okay for some but tasted weird on my Cheerios Wink Oat milk was similarly too 'oaty'. Coconut was a bit higher in fat and sweeter, okay for some things but not for everyday use.

As with all things, check which works better for you - I know some people love hemp milk because it's apparently a more creamy texture (I never got past the first sip). Also, be sure to read labels - there are some cheese alternatives that still contain casein (milk protein) or are made using animal-based rennet. They are often targeted to the lactose-free folks, not necessarily the veg*n market so reading the label is important.

And too, keep in mind that the kickstart is aiming for a lower fat level as well (cheese in general tends to be higher in fat). Plus, many faux cheeses and such have higher sodium content.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

We too have tried different Milk alternatives. We like unsweetened almond milk best.

We too have tried different Milk alternatives. We like unsweetened almond milk best.

Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 452 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org