21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I don't like today's video
Created on: 01/09/13 02:18 PM Views: 1257 Replies: 5
I don't like today's video
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It's nice that she won $25,000 to support PCRM with a vegan dish.....but she sure likes her olive oil.

RE: I don't like today's video
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I had the same reaction to tiday's video. Kudos to you for being brave and saying something...woot!

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I agree the olive oil was a lot. BUT, keep in mind that she did raise awareness for PCRM and having a vegan diet. That part I thought was great. Awareness leads to knowledge which could lead to positive changes for all!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM

MiniVegan wrote:

I agree the olive oil was a lot. BUT, keep in mind that she did raise awareness for PCRM and having a vegan diet. That part I thought was great. Awareness leads to knowledge which could lead to positive changes for all!

I do agree that its great that she brought awareness to PCRM, but there are a lot of unhealthy vegans out there who enjoy their french fries, coca-cola, donuts, and oreos. The message should not just be focused on vegan, but rather a low-fat healthy vegan lifestyle.

Edited 01/09/13 5:01 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM

So the lesson for the day, by way of Marilu Henner, is the only way you can win a healthy vegan eating contest is to load it up with fat?

Does she realize that her meal, which consisted of 3/4 cup of olive oil, has the same amount of fat as SIX McDonald's quarter pounders with cheese.

3/4 cup olive oil = 162g of fat, 22.369 g of saturated fat and 1432 calories.

It makes me shudder. Sad

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Olive oil is no good, if you're following John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, or (m)any of the other vegan MDs who have our ears at present.

Of course, if you're comparing olive oil to corn oil, there may be a preference, but no oil is better than any oil .

no oil
Very Happy

any oil
Twisted Evil

Exclamation

Edited 01/10/13 12:17 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 253 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org