21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Anyone Lose Weight Without Cutting Everything?
Created on: 01/09/13 03:58 PM Views: 2450 Replies: 14
Anyone Lose Weight Without Cutting Everything?
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Switching over to a whole foods plant based diet is quite the lifestyle change but one that I'm committed to for our family. Until recently my favorite food was a cheeseburger. So we gave up meat and dairy and junk food and oil despite believing for years that olive oil was healthy. My #1 goal is to improve our health but I'd also like to lose weight.

I've read two very different perspectives on losing weight on a vegan diet. Some books say that if you switch to a vegan diet and focus on healthy foods and not junk you will lose weight. Others say you should cut out bread, pasta, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives and dried fruit.

But here is the thing, some of those things are so good and would make sticking to a vegan lifestyle so much easier. I know that counting calories does not work for me when I feel deprived it backfires. Its not sustainable. On the other hand, I'm worried if I eat those things I won't lose and I'll get frustrated making me question whether this approach is the right one.

So what I'm wondering is if people have been successful losing the weight they want while still enjoying these foods. I don't plan to eat them everyday but it would be nice to have pasta, avocado, nuts and the occasional date bar or vegan ice cream.

RE: Anyone Lose Weight Without Cutting Everything?
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM

nat4crim wrote:

Switching over to a whole foods plant based diet is quite the lifestyle change but one that I'm committed to for our family. Until recently my favorite food was a cheeseburger. So we gave up meat and dairy and junk food and oil despite believing for years that olive oil was healthy. My #1 goal is to improve our health but I'd also like to lose weight.

I've read two very different perspectives on losing weight on a vegan diet. Some books say that if you switch to a vegan diet and focus on healthy foods and not junk you will lose weight. Others say you should cut out bread, pasta, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives and dried fruit.

But here is the thing, some of those things are so good and would make sticking to a vegan lifestyle so much easier. I know that counting calories does not work for me when I feel deprived it backfires. Its not sustainable. On the other hand, I'm worried if I eat those things I won't lose and I'll get frustrated making me question whether this approach is the right one.

So what I'm wondering is if people have been successful losing the weight they want while still enjoying these foods. I don't plan to eat them everyday but it would be nice to have pasta, avocado, nuts and the occasional date bar or vegan ice cream.

nat4crim,

I am so glad I saw your question today because I can connect with your question as someone who has had a lifetime weight struggle before losing 50 pounds about 15 years ago (from my top weight) and it's stayed off. I actually initially lost 40, then another five, and another five, some due to time and some due to shifts I made along the way.

I ate bread just about every day of my entire weight loss. At the same time, the higher fat vegan foods slowed me down - especially oils and nuts, and they still have the potential to fluff me up if not prudent! I am one of those genetically predispositioned to easily gain, so yes I can easily stay trim but it demands attention to these details.

My dream was to be full without being fat and eat according to appetite and still stay trim. I found that is 100% doable with a wflfpb diet - but for me, the low fat is important. Others don't seem to need to be as careful, but that's where our genetic code comes in. If you've read Dr. Barnard's Turn of you Fat Genes, you will get a great explanation of this.

Let me know how else I might assist!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I think it'll all depend on your body. I went vegan and didn't lose any weight until I cut out the junk food. Then I started losing right away. It might be trail and error along the way. Good luck!

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

You MIGHT be able to lose weight without cutting out all the fat, but in my opinion if you are looking for optimal health the fat has to go.

Does that mean NEVER? Probably not, but I think it needs to be at the very least RARELY. Very rarely.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Wild4Stars wrote:

You MIGHT be able to lose weight without cutting out all the fat, but in my opinion if you are looking for optimal health the fat has to go.

But here is the thing, are the fats in nuts, seeds and avocados unhealthy? Are the sugars in dried fruit unhealthy?

That's not the impression I've gotten. I know if I gorge myself on those things I won't lose weight but I have an infant and a 3.5 year old. They need calorie dense foods and fat to grow.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I've lost several kgs so far by going vegan and cutting out olive oil and reducing my avocado intake. I still eat tonnes of bread, pasta, probably more than i did previously. I do occasionally have small amounts of nuts and seeds. They are in my nut/seed milks and i don't like to waste so the left over solids i make into pates which i spread on bread. It is only a small amount though and i don't eat it every day.

So i think as a lot of people are pointing out, low fat is important. Grain free is not. And psychologically i don't think i could commit to this if i didn't think that the gain for me was i could eat pasta without feeling guilty. Honestly i think it is one of the best things about this for me. I'll swap pasta for cheese any day. Smile

Edited 01/09/13 8:10 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

nat4crim wrote:

But here is the thing, are the fats in nuts, seeds and avocados unhealthy? Are the sugars in dried fruit unhealthy?

That's not the impression I've gotten. I know if I gorge myself on those things I won't lose weight but I have an infant and a 3.5 year old. They need calorie dense foods and fat to grow.

In excess, yes, as they are very calorie dense, and excess weight and saturated fat from any source can lead to health issues. Dr. Esselstyn would have you cut them all together.

If your having trouble getting enough calories into your kids, I wouldn't hesitate in allowing them higher calorie dense plant foods.

I eat them, just not in excess. Generally if there is a recipe that calls for em, I use em. Otherwise I don't eat them. (Referring to all; nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, dried fruits)

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Does anyone know what people like Dr. Esselstyn have to say about fat in plants and kids? Is it ok to give them things like nut butters, seeds, dried fruit or avocado daily?

Jodie that's kind of how I want to consume them. So if I have a mexican style burrito bowl I'd top it with some avacodo. Or I recently saw a recipe for west african peanut stew that looks good. And even then I'd eat a moderate serving of the nuts and avocado.

dirtbooksun, I love pasta and I get where you are coming from. Once upon a time I tried the high protein low carb diet and it was awful. I'd much rather be able to eat grains, pasta and potatoes then a ton of meat, eggs and cheese any day.

Lani, I too want to be able to eat without counting calories and feeling deprived. What I think I'll do is limit these things to 1x a week and see what happens. If I stall in weight loss I can take further steps.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM

nat4crim wrote:

Does anyone know what people like Dr. Esselstyn have to say about fat in plants and kids? Is it ok to give them things like nut butters, seeds, dried fruit or avocado daily?

Jodie that's kind of how I want to consume them. So if I have a mexican style burrito bowl I'd top it with some avacodo. Or I recently saw a recipe for west african peanut stew that looks good. And even then I'd eat a moderate serving of the nuts and avocado.

dirtbooksun, I love pasta and I get where you are coming from. Once upon a time I tried the high protein low carb diet and it was awful. I'd much rather be able to eat grains, pasta and potatoes then a ton of meat, eggs and cheese any day.

Lani, I too want to be able to eat without counting calories and feeling deprived. What I think I'll do is limit these things to 1x a week and see what happens. If I stall in weight loss I can take further steps.

nat4crim, that is an excellent plan. Each person must decide for themselves what quality of diet is going to make it possible for them to reach their health and weight goals.

Between you and me, that was the center of my quest and I tell the whole story in the Fit Quickies book. In my heart I knew there must be a way to eat according to my hunger signals. Why would they be there if designed to lead me astray and keep me fat? I'd see all the squirrels and deer (we live in the mountains) eating according to appetite and they weren't counting, weight or measuring anything. It took me awhile to figure it out, learn some new eating behaviors and change my mindset about it all, and I walked through fire to get here, but the journey was well worth it and it's a whole lot easier than I made it at one time. This is good news!

Glad to be on this journey with you,
Lani

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Hi Nat4crim

I just want to say congratulations on what you have given up so far in so little time in order to gain and improve your health and the health of your family. It has taken me almost 20 years to get to this point taking small steps each time. I am not sure I could have done it all at once so admire anyone who does. I stopped eating red meat for about a year then stopped eating chicken and fish so all meat was gone. I was vegetarian for around 15 years but having a high intake of cheese. I decided to go vegan about 2 years ago which started well but I lapsed back into the cheese for a few months. Now the cheese is gone for good and I am happy on a low fat plant diet 99% of the time.

Its only words but when I went 'vegan' I was eating everything vegan including vegan chocolate chip cookies and other sweets and treats. And lots of fats. Not very healthy and the word wasnt a comfortable fit for me personally. But a low fat plant based diet describes how I eat now and keeps me on track.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/10/13 5:39 AM
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM

First of all, this doesn't have to be an all or nothing journey for anyone so forget about the absolutes or that you may "cheat" or "Fall off the vegan wagon". I found that when I gave myself permission to have the occassional dairy, I found I really could hold off a little longer and eventually walk away from it or find another option.
As with most things, "everything in moderation". Variety is important for benefits, including your interest in food. Veganism and healthy living isn't a punishment. The trick is finding out which foods and recipes work for you. I was jsut pointed to The Power Plate so I can see just what is needed for that balance and them search the internet for vegan recipes that target those "plate" areas.
Good luck - great people here.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

hey guys...

Good discussion on fats. I didn't even think about the oils I used in my diet before this kickstart.

I did some study and have been following a low fat diet since. I look at oil like I do white sugar. I can eat the sugar or I can get it from eating the whole fruit. And with nuts I would rather have the whole nut instead of the oil. Cooking isn't a problem with a few little adjustments.

I sprinkle seeds or nuts in dishes or on salads just give me more options to eat.

I guess if I was gaining weight, I'd cut them out. I actually think my taste buds are changing, cuz I'm not missing the oil like I thought I would.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

anita wrote:

hey guys...

Good discussion on fats. I didn't even think about the oils I used in my diet before this kickstart.

I did some study and have been following a low fat diet since. I look at oil like I do white sugar. I can eat the sugar or I can get it from eating the whole fruit. And with nuts I would rather have the whole nut instead of the oil. Cooking isn't a problem with a few little adjustments.

I sprinkle seeds or nuts in dishes or on salads just give me more options to eat.

I guess if I was gaining weight, I'd cut them out. I actually think my taste buds are changing, cuz I'm not missing the oil like I thought I would.

Anita - on the oil and the sugar - EXACTLY and that's the analogy I use. We see sugar as 'junk' food - yet somehow got marketed to believe that olive oil is heart healthy. Sheesh! Rolling Eyes

Glad your tastes are changing quickly - that is a real boost!

Lani

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My transition wasn't 100% cold turkey, we just cut out meat and dairy over the course of 6 weeks before going completely plant based. I definitely don't want to lead an unhealthy vegan lifestyle because that defeats the purpose of why I'm doing this. Of course the ethical and environmental reasons are important but truly its the lure of good health that has me committed. Will I be 100% perfect, unlikely. But I can strive to eat well 95% of the time.

I really do need to achieve the right mindset on this journey because I feel like if I'm too restricted this won't be a lifestyle but a diet and diets never work for me.

It's a journey for all of us and I'm glad to have found people to look to for support.

Great tip checking out the power plate when picking recipes. I'm meal planning today and its a great guide.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

anita wrote:

hey guys...

You know I'm not missing it either. It's just a matter of getting used to sauteing without it. The only adjustment I need to make is having salad dressing without it because I find its too vinegary tasting.

I'm glad to hear you are able to eat nuts and seeds in moderation and lose weight. Gives me hope.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 267 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org