21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: pesticides, insects, vegan and environment
Created on: 04/02/14 03:40 PM Views: 614 Replies: 4
pesticides, insects, vegan and environment
Posted Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I will be really interested to hear what others have to say or ideas on this. I just watched a really interesting documentary on how humans are responsible for so much insecticide, and how this is affecting our plants, fruits etc...for example in the US, the threat to the bees is directly impacting the almond trees...other bugs being killed because of the various chemicals spray on plants, is also having a lot of negative effect. i am curious to know more about this...

why exactly are the pesticides used then, if they are so bad? how can we help with these issues, even in the smallest way possible? again i ask about / bring up the honey issue because i'm still a bit confused...was talking to classmates today and they insisted that a 'skillful' beekeeper can smoke out the hive and not kill any bees. and that taking the honey is the least of the problems to the bee colonies collapsing.

but i did see in this documentary how bees were still harmed, wings cut off, and who knows what worse things happen - but i have not seen the entire film yet...

thank you all. this community is a treasure and i love learning from you all

RE: pesticides, insects, vegan and environment
Posted Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Pesticides are used because they want a cut of the produce. There are cutworms that can kill tomato plants, for example. People value the tomatoes higher than the worms, so they kill the worms. It's a matter of balance and there are ways to keep the worms from killing the tomatoes without using chemical pesticides. 'Buddy planting' is one of those, where you plant tomatoes and basil together (for instance) because the things that like to eat tomatoes don't like being around basil. That, however, causes a problem for monoculture cropping - if you have tomatoes and basil interspersed, you can just go right through and grab all tomatoes, you'd have to sort out the basil. Works great for small gardens and small farms that actually use hand labor but not so great for giant agribusinesses that use mostly mechanical systems for harvesting.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I know PCRM's Cancer Project recommends organic food. I guess it's not so much a focus of the Kickstart because people here are still trying to get the vegan part down.

"The greatest wealth is health" - Virgil

Posted Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Thanks you guys, this is very helpful. I am learning more about the environment at the same time as I also learn more about vegan ways of living.

Yes, you are right - the diet part is the first step!

Posted Saturday, July 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Pesticides are used because they want a cut of the produce. There are cutworms that can kill tomato plants, for example. People value the tomatoes higher than the worms, so they kill the worms. It's a matter of balance and there are ways to keep the worms from killing the tomatoes without using chemical pesticides. 'Buddy planting' is one of those, where you plant tomatoes and basil together (for instance) because the things that like to eat tomatoes don't like being around basil. That, however, causes a problem for monoculture cropping - if you have tomatoes and basil interspersed, you can just go right through and grab all tomatoes, you'd have to sort out the basil. Works great for small gardens and small farms that actually use hand labor but not so great for giant agribusinesses that use mostly mechanical systems for harvesting.

--DebR

That's so awesome! I'll be planting basil with my tomatoes from now on.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 193 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Chanie08

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org