21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: thank you to all! and question on sugars/ carb?
Created on: 02/11/14 09:43 PM Views: 533 Replies: 2
thank you to all! and question on sugars/ carb?
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM

This community is a treasure-chest! I am really happy to have the support. You are all fabulous =)

I am curious to know, why do so many meat-heavy diets like the Atkins and Paleo have a lot of followers, or why they are so popular? Many people at work or my classes, they ask me, 'why don't you eat fish or eggs, it is soooo healthy for you!' Moreover, because diabetes runs in my family and I'm at risk for it, I worry that these foods like fish / egg are the only way to keep my sugar cravings at bay. Since, these foods don't have many sugars to begin with. But I have never liked the taste of any of these things and I don't feel they are suitable for my body to begin with. Maybe someone can dispell the myth?

thank you to all! and question on sugars/ carb?
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 7:15 AM

I understand the frustration. Paleo and Atkins are popular because, as someone once said, people love good news about a bad idea.

Here are some pieces about eggs and fish that may help fuel your commitment and/or your debate:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/whats-wrong-with-eggs/

http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/rep_fish_report.pdf

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Paleo Diets
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM

As one who very much wants to be vegan, I have returned to eating some fish, eggs and meat. i do not feel like it is the healthiest diet for me, but I have leaky gut and SIBO causing IBS. Following a low FODMAP diet has helped. I have developed food sensitivities to many foods, which I believe include gluten, legumes, corn, nuts and possibly some seeds. Is it possible to thrive, heal a leaky gut and reduce these sensitivities while following a vegan diet? I would love to have an answer to this as I would happily return to a vegan or nutritarian diet. Thank you.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 713 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org