21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: WEIGHT WATCHERS FOR 14YRS AND SIMPLY FILING PLAN!
Created on: 01/10/13 06:38 AM Views: 2181 Replies: 9
WEIGHT WATCHERS FOR 14YRS AND SIMPLY FILING PLAN!
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 6:38 AM

I HAVE BEEN DOING THE WEIGHT WATCHERS FOREVER!!! BUT CANT SEEM TO GET BACK TO MY 130LBS WEIGHT!? AND I HAVE DONE THE LOWFAT MCDOUGALL PLAN AND NO DIFERENCE?? I CURRENTLY AM AT 154.0 AGE 43MOM AND 5-3IN. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? IT SEEMS I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING AT THIS POINT!!! HELP???

RE: WEIGHT WATCHERS
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Well, you know our "rules":

No animal products
Low-fat (about 10% of calories)

I would suggest you look at any high sources of fat in the diet, including added oils, nuts, avocados, seeds, etc. I would eliminate these fat sources, no matter how minimal, and see if you can break the plateau you are experiencing.

If there are any calorie-dense, nutrient-poor products such as sugar and alcohol in your diet, I would take those out as well.

You may even consider stepping up physical activity. Exercise can help burn some of those extra calories as well as build muscle, which increases your overall metabolism. But exercise will ONLY help if your diet choices follow the suggestions above.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: WEIGHT WATCHERS FOR 14YRS ??
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Thanks Susan.....I do follow a vegan diet and dont eat anything with more than 3grams of fat per serving and I eat at wholefood clean diet?? This is why I dont understand that I seem to stay at the 150lbs mark??? Iam a relitivly active single mom of one 6yr old son and try to walk at least 30-mins weather permitting here in new hampshire..:} Iam a size8-10 in jeans??

RE: WEIGHT WATCHERS
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I'd suggest looking at lifestyle change, not 'diet plans'. In addition to the items already mentioned, one of the keys I've found is watching my grains. When I start edging over toward more grains (even whole grains) and less veggies/fruits, I tend to start that creep back upward again. Green leafies in particular seem to be helpful - not only are they nutritious in so many ways but they add bulk so you feel full AND they fill the plate so your eye sees "a lot of food" which also adds to feeling satisfied.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

veganmoma wrote:

Thanks Susan.....I do follow a vegan diet and dont eat anything with more than 3grams of fat per serving

How do you know how many grams of fat per serving? Makes it sound like you buy a lot of packaged processed food. Even if the package says "vegan" and "whole grains", they can still hide a lot of processed junk in there. And 3 grams per serving? Do you only eat 1 serving. Many times those packages will have multiple servings so that they can list "3 grams" instead of 6 or 9.

I would try more of a whole foods approach, prepare the meals yourself with whole foods. Then you know exactly what's going into what you eat.

I would also minimize intake of products using flour. Much more dense than the whole grain.

Many people will do well losing weight by just switching to vegan, but the closer you get to your ideal weight, the more you will have to fine tune your diet.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Jodie wrote:

And 3 grams per serving? Do you only eat 1 serving. Many times those packages will have multiple servings so that they can list "3 grams" instead of 6 or 9.

Yeah, sometimes the serving size is ridiculously small - even things like cereal, which you'd think would be simple. Nope, the average person when asked to pour a serving of simple Cheerios usually has double (or more) the actual serving size. So, unless you carefully measure out the portions, odds are good that it's not the same as what they're saying on the package.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

YES....I think maybe cutting back on my breads,pasta,whole grains and upping the veggies might do the trick???...Do you have any suggestions as to the amounts on these thing daily???

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

veganmoma wrote:

YES....I think maybe cutting back on my breads,pasta,whole grains and upping the veggies might do the trick???...Do you have any suggestions as to the amounts on these thing daily???

Power Plate

Wow, I don't think I could give up my whole grains. I don't think I'd be able to make very satiating meals without rice, quinoa, oats, etc. Good luck to ya, I think I would fail. Processed grains like bread and pasta, yes I could cut back on those.

RE: WEIGHT WATCHERS FOR 14YRS
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

In addition to upping the greens, make sure you are getting enough beans - because of their resistant starch content, you do not absorb all of their calories yet they make you feel very satiated.

While the suggested amount of whole grains is 6 servings, I find that my weight creeps up if I have more than four so I have 1 C. of oatmeal at breakfast (2 servings) and then 1 c. of a whole grain at dinner (2 more servings) while lunch is usually bean soup and salad, no grains. I am never hungry and feel very satisfied. I rarely eat foods made with processed grains like flour, even whole wheat flour.This is what works for me so I offer it just to consider if you are plateauing.

RE: WEIGHT WATCHERS FOR 14YRS AND SIMPLY FILING PL
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I am writing this as someone who has been there done that. Not weight watchers but i was on a 1200 calorie diet for some time and my weight stalled until i did some research and realised i needed to eat a lot more! I then started eating more like 2000 calories and started losing again. And now doing this vegan kickstart i'm continuing to loose weight without counting calories and i'm eating as much as i want!

Weight watchers has you eating far too few calories. Also it lets you get away with eating a lot of processed food because of its points system. For most people using WW they lose a lot quickly but then put it all back on because it has screwed up their metabolism and then have to go back to WW and it is an endless cycle. I kind of think maybe they realise this but like making money from all the people that go!

Basically your body is in a plateau and possibly if you haven't been doing a lot of resistance (weight) training while you dieted you've actually decreased your muscle mass and now have a higher body fat % than when you started.

Luckily you've already found a system that works much better here! Just eat following the guidelines including eating all the starch and don't count points or caloriess! Eat to your hunger but stick closely to the guidelines for the vegan kickstart and make it all unprocessed as possible. Don't listen to all the people telling you to cut it grains out. If you do that you'll be starving yourself even more. But address the fat issue. If you are eating alot of things labeled with a fat grams then you are probably eating processed food. Try and make as much of your food from fruit, vegggies, wholegrains. These things might not even have labels as they come from the loose produce section (except the grains of course)! Then all you have to worry about is cooking without oil and limiting nuts and avocado.

But in addition to the other cardio based exercise incorporate some body weight exercises or some heavier weights if you feel up to it. This will help you fix your body fat % which along with the plant based diet will help you boost your metabolism. One thing about this though is if you haven't been doing this all along you may experience a slight weight increase that is temporary. This is just fluid which helps repair your muscles after a workout. Using a tape measure may be a better gauge of your progress rather than a scale. Or just leave it several weeks before weighing yourself.
Think internal health, rather than a number on a scale! And this includes psychological health. Not having to count calories or points has been very psychologically healing for me after doing it for several years now including after i started eating more.

I hope this helps.

Edited 01/10/13 7:58 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 133 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org