21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: help I have an anaphalactic reation to all legumes
Created on: 01/10/13 09:59 AM Views: 2470 Replies: 14
help I have an anaphalactic reation to all legumes
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Since I was a baby I have had a anaphalactic reaction to ALL legumes. I was vegan for a year but suffered from terrible headaches. I wonder if anyone can help me to try again with alternative sources of protein. Smile

RE: help I have an anaphalactic reation to legumes
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

As long as your eating enough calories, you are getting enough protein. Don't worry about finding a "source" for protein. Whole grains are full of protein, broccoli is something like 45% protein, nuts and seeds are packed with protein.

Again, don't worry about protein. Have you heard of anyone with a protein deficiency?

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Just a little additional info on protein requirements from Dr. John McDougall..

"People Require Very Little Protein

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that men and women obtain 5% of their calories as protein. This would mean 38 grams of protein for a man burning 3000 calories a day and 29 grams for a woman using 2300 calories a day. This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein.8

Our greatest time of growth—thus, the time of our greatest need for protein—is during our first 2 years of life—we double in size. At this vigorous developmental stage our ideal food is human milk, which is 5% protein. Compare this need to food choices that should be made as adults—when we are not growing. Rice is 8% protein, corn 11%, oatmeal 15%, and beans 27%.8 Thus protein deficiency is impossible when calorie needs are met by eating unprocessed starches and vegetables.

The healthy active lives of hundreds of millions of people laboring in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America on diets with less than half the amount of protein eaten by Americans and Europeans prove that the popular understanding of our protein needs is seriously flawed."

Quote taken from...
April 2007 McDougall Newsletter

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Jodie wrote:

........ broccoli is something like 45% protein, .....

Jodie, Where did you get this number??

1 cup of broccoli is 88g.
1 cup of broccoli has 3.3g of protein.

By weight I get 3.75% protein.

Edited 01/10/13 2:12 PM
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Dontx wrote:

Jodie wrote:
........ broccoli is something like 45% protein, .....

Jodie, Where did you get this number??

1 cup of broccoli is 88g.
1 cup of broccoli has 3.3g of protein.

By weight I get 3.75% protein.

About 45% of the calories in broccoli is from protein. Do the math yourself,here is the link to nutrition data for 1 serving of broccoli...
Nutrition Facts and Analysis

There are 52 total calories in 1 serving
There are 6 grams of Protein in 1 serving
There are 4 calories per gram of Protein making that 24 calories from protein per serving.

24/52 = 46% of the calories in broccoli are from protein.

Never judge anything by weight, that is a marketing ploy. 2% milk actually gets about 35% of its calories from fat. The 2% is a measurement of volume, a marketing ploy to make you think its not that bad.

RE: help I have an anaphalactic reation to
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I have read that protein makes you feel full after a meal more so than fat or carbs. so, although we don't "need" more protein it might make new vegans feel more satisfied and less likely to break our diet.

Quinoa contains plenty of protein, as do other whole grains and leafy greens (including broccoli). I believe you can also buy meat anologs based on wheat protein rather than soy.

The issue here that I see, is not the amount of protein that you miss out on by not eating legumes, but the other nutrients such as folic acid and iron. So I would make sure to get plenty of green veggies to keep your folic acid intake up.

RE: help I have an anaphalactic reation to
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I have read that protein makes you feel full after a meal more so than fat or carbs. so, although we don't "need" more protein it might make new vegans feel more satisfied and less likely to break our diet.

Quinoa contains plenty of protein, as do other whole grains and leafy greens (including broccoli). I believe you can also buy meat anologs based on wheat protein rather than soy.

The issue here that I see, is not the amount of protein that you miss out on by not eating legumes, but the other nutrients such as folic acid and iron. So I would make sure to get plenty of green veggies to keep your folic acid intake up.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

[quote="Jodie"] This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein.8

Just curious where you got your info on grams of protein in potatoes and rice. Should there be a decimal point in there?

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

DebB wrote:

[quote="Jodie"] This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein.8

Just curious where you got your info on grams of protein in potatoes and rice. Should there be a decimal point in there?

If you click on the link I provided, Dr. McDougall gives you the source of where he got all his information from.

Although, I can figure it out for you. A quick look at the nutrition of the potato here...
Baking Potato Nutrition

Shows 278 calories and 7 grams of protein. So using Dr. McDougalls number of a 2300 calorie diet for a female, 278/2300= about 12.1% of calories for the day. To put grams into similar terms, there are 4 calories per gram so 28 calories from protein, or 10.1% calories from protein.

So for the remaining 2024 calories (2300 x 88%), 204 are from protein (2024 x 10.1%). To get that into grams again, 204/4 = 51 grams. Add back the initial 7 grams for a total of 58 grams protein if you ate 2300 calories of potatoes.

My estimate is slightly off from Dr. McDougall's (and I rounded my numbers when doing math), but that could easily be explained by using a different variety of potato which would have different nutrition data.

Edited 01/10/13 6:26 PM
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Jodie wrote:

... if you ate 2300 calories of potatoes.

That's a little over 5 pounds of potatoes.

Another source of protein is vital wheat gluten in the form of seitan.

21g of protein per ounce of vital wheat gluten.

Edited 01/10/13 8:03 PM
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Dontx wrote:

Jodie wrote:

... if you ate 2300 calories of potatoes.

That's a little over 5 pounds of potatoes.

Another source of protein is vital wheat gluten in the form of seitan.

21g of protein per ounce of vital wheat gluten.

That's exactly the point Dr. McDougall is trying to make. Even if you ONLY ate potatoes, you would still meet the daily requirements for protein. So quit worrying about where you'll get your protein from.

Edited 01/10/13 9:55 PM
RE: anaphalactic reation to all legumes
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Jodie- Sorry, I thought you were saying one serving of rice or potatos had that much protein and I knew that wasn't correct. I get what you mean now.

RE: anaphalactic reation to all legumes
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

DebB wrote:

Jodie- Sorry, I thought you were saying one serving of rice or potatos had that much protein and I knew that wasn't correct. I get what you mean now.

No worries, glad I could clear it up for you as I'm sure you're not the only one I confused. Very Happy

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Jodie wrote:

That's exactly the point Dr. McDougall is trying to make. Even if you ONLY ate potatoes, you would still meet the daily requirements for protein. So quit worrying about where you'll get your protein from.

Jodie, I was thinking about you this weekend when I was listening to the lectures by Dr. T Colin Campbell and Dr. Michael Gregger. I learned that neither the Doctors or any of the attendees have ever come across someone that was protein deficient. (unless the person is starving) If you are eating enough calories per day you are getting enough protein.

The health problems start when the protein intake start to go above 10% of the calories taken in.

Plants have 9% - 11% protein but animals go over the threshold at 15%-20%. The population that consumes more protein have proportionally more health problems.
Since the vital wheat gluten contains so much processed protein I don't think I will be eating it. I need to stick to unprocessed foods.

Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Quote:

Jodie, I was thinking about you this weekend when I was listening to the lectures by Dr. T Colin Campbell and Dr. Michael Gregger. I learned that neither the Doctors or any of the attendees have ever come across someone that was protein deficient. (unless the person is starving) If you are eating enough calories per day you are getting enough protein.

The health problems start when the protein intake start to go above 10% of the calories taken in.

Plants have 9% - 11% protein but animals go over the threshold at 15%-20%. The population that consumes more protein have proportionally more health problems.
Since the vital wheat gluten contains so much processed protein I don't think I will be eating it. I need to stick to unprocessed foods.

Very Happy Whole foods are the way to go!!

Edited 01/15/13 8:37 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 300 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org