21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: what is an ideal weight?
Created on: 01/10/13 03:59 PM Views: 1119 Replies: 4
what is an ideal weight?
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I'm sorry if it seems like a stupid question. This is my third time trying a vegan whole foods based diet and once again I have lost some weight until I am underweight (BMI 1Cool.

I eat plenty of nuts and nut butters, coconut, avocado etc and also plenty of grains and legumes but the weight comes off anyway. Is it possible that I am getting too much fiber? I need over 3000 calories a day due to breastfeeding and moderate exercise and this adds up to a lot of fiber when all the foods are whole foods.

Alternatively could it be that my "ideal" weight is lower than I think it is, even when I look and feel skinny?

I would really like to eat vegan but when I get over hungry I end up consuming a whole box of chocolates or a tub of yoghurt or other off limits foods. I need to find a way to get enough calories to fill me up by the end of the day.

Embarassed Embarassed

RE: what is an ideal weight?
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

beatrice30 wrote:

I'm sorry if it seems like a stupid question. This is my third time trying a vegan whole foods based diet and once again I have lost some weight until I am underweight (BMI 1Cool.

I eat plenty of nuts and nut butters, coconut, avocado etc and also plenty of grains and legumes but the weight comes off anyway. Is it possible that I am getting too much fiber? I need over 3000 calories a day due to breastfeeding and moderate exercise and this adds up to a lot of fiber when all the foods are whole foods.

Alternatively could it be that my "ideal" weight is lower than I think it is, even when I look and feel skinny?

I would really like to eat vegan but when I get over hungry I end up consuming a whole box of chocolates or a tub of yoghurt or other off limits foods. I need to find a way to get enough calories to fill me up by the end of the day.

Embarassed Embarassed

Beatrice,

It is hard to completely answer your question without knowing what your daily plate looks like - and ideal weight can depend on body composition and other factors.

But I'd like to address the overhungry and box of cookies. That is what WILL happen with what I call 'stored hunger' - which is an enormous stressor and it's only a matter of time before your body drives you to consume all the foods least compatible with your health and fitness goals, am I right?

Many people are surprised to see how much they really can - and should - consume on a whole foods, low fat plant-based diet. Be sure to stay hunger satisfied on the vegetables, starchy vegetables and whole grains, beans, fruits, and nuts seeds and higher fat veggies as your weight and health will allow. I just want to invite you to be more generous with the lower fat fare first, and to eat more often as needed. Meal time is when you are hungry, and nothing to do with the clock.

Hope this helps!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Second to what was already said, if you're nursing, you really do need to add in some of the higher fat seeds, nuts, avocado, etc. If you get too low on that, your body will push you to get more fat in to serve the needs of nursing and that in turn will end up with the cheese, yogurt, and other stuff which is higher in fat to start with. On the other hand, if you add a bit more of that onto your plate, you'll definitely get enough calories AND fat to do your job as a nursing mum and not get seriously underweight.

I wouldn't even THINK about "ideal weight" when you're nursing. Keep your body and that of the little one dependent on you satisfied with healthy foods and relax.

--DebR

Edited 01/10/13 4:32 PM
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM

[quote="Bugsmom"]Second to what was already said, if you're nursing, you really do need to add in some of the higher fat seeds, nuts, avocado, etc. If you get too low on that, your body will push you to get more fat in to serve the needs of nursing and that in turn will end up with the cheese, yogurt, and other stuff which is higher in fat to start with. On the other hand, if you add a bit more of that onto your plate, you'll definitely get enough calories AND fat to do your job as a nursing mum and not get seriously underweight.

I wouldn't even THINK about "ideal weight" when you're nursing. Keep your body and that of the little one dependent on you satisfied with healthy foods and relax.

--DebR[/quote

I want to thank DebR and underscore what she says about nursing, eating, fats, and the whole ball of wax. I completely missed addressing that in my response and yet it is the most important point. Your energy needs when nursing are such that meeting that need is paramount. And all the more reason to eat more frequently through the day as you will no doubt be hungry more often. Enjoy this time and take care of the needs of your little one and your body with it!

And muchas gracias to DebR

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Quote:

Second to what was already said, if you're nursing, you really do need to add in some of the higher fat seeds, nuts, avocado, etc. If you get too low on that, your body will push you to get more fat in to serve the needs of nursing and that in turn will end up with the cheese, yogurt, and other stuff which is higher in fat to start with. On the other hand, if you add a bit more of that onto your plate, you'll definitely get enough calories AND fat to do your job as a nursing mum and not get seriously underweight.

--DebR

Thank you, I was asking about ideal weight not because I want to lose weight but because I am trying to interpret my recent weight loss as either ok or underweight.

I see what PP meant about needing to know my body composition and diet before answering that question. I see now that the main thing is keeping up my energy level. I buy unsweetened musli made with toasted grains, nuts and seeds, and dried fruit for breakfast and there's no reason I can't have that for a snack instead of cookies. Thanks again for reminding me to plan for healthy, vegan snacks.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 205 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org