21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Too much fresh fruit
Created on: 03/01/13 10:05 AM Views: 794 Replies: 2
Too much fresh fruit
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Hi, I have type 2 diabetes. I love fruit and I would like your opinion on eating too much fruit at once. For example, I had a pear, an apple, some strawberries, and some grapes for breakfast this morning. Is this too much fruit for a diabetic?

Good Luck to everyone!
Frank

RE: Too much fresh fruit
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You should test your blood sugars to find out - that really is the best way to know if it is too much. The idea is that if you stick to this low-fat, vegan diet, you will be able to process those healthful carbohydrates much more quickly. It may take a while to get to that point, though. So it depends on how long you have been really eating the Kickstart way.

As the fat clears out of the cells, the insulin will be much more efficient!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Too much fresh fruit
Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

folbrish wrote:

Hi, I have type 2 diabetes. I love fruit and I would like your opinion on eating too much fruit at once. For example, I had a pear, an apple, some strawberries, and some grapes for breakfast this morning. Is this too much fruit for a diabetic?

Good Luck to everyone!
Frank

Test! Test before, test after and see. My guess is yes because of the strawberries and grapes - high sugar fruits with less fiber. Also, you'll likely get hungry sooner rather than later because there's nothing 'stick to your ribs' there (like a protein of some sort). Better to slice up the apple into a bowl of oatmeal, for example or put a dab of peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon on sliced apple. Apples and pears are lower sugar, higher fiber so don't tend (for most folks) to be as spike-inducing as berries and such (I LOVE fresh strawberries but I know I MUST limit how much I have at any sitting). You'd probably be better off distributing your fruit throughout the day and adding in more protein and fiber especially at breakfast.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 165 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: LynnethAnn

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org