21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Wheat Belly
Created on: 05/07/12 10:15 AM Views: 2853 Replies: 5
Wheat Belly
Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Hi all -

Has anyone read "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD? It's making a bit too much sense to me but many authors can do that - spin a theory that sounds science-based and correct.

Would love others' thoughts and comments on the contents of this book.

Cheers!

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

RE: Wheat Belly
Posted Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Well, guess I'm talking to myself Smile but as I wade further into this book the more I'm not liking all of the message.

Perhaps the wheat of today is so hybridized that it's difficult for our bodies to digest as in days gone by. I don't know and I don't have time to get a science degree to figure out if what he says is true. It's worth a try to get off wheat if even a smidgeon of what he says is true as far as weight loss is concerned, but it makes sense that if you give up white or even whole wheat flour products you'll lose weight. He doesn't like barley or rye much either and that hurts. Sad Love barley and rye.

BUT - I don't like the message that beans/legumes alter blood sugars negatively and that it's ok to consume meat/dairy. He lost me when he states that ridding the plate of pork and beef won't alter blood score results. Some of his stories to illustrate his points are over-the-top, imho, and he takes a jab at The China Study,too.

I borrowed this book from the library so it's cost me nothing but a few hours to read it. My sense is that this author is just another guy on the bandwagon to big bucks from book sales.

I AM going to be conscious of wheat consumption as my own personal experiment, but if he thinks I'm giving up barley, beans and brown rice, he's mistaken. I'm taking it with a grain (or two) of salt...

Posted Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Thanks for the book review. I dont think I will bother reading it if I come across it. I am presently reading Michael Pollan's Food Rules. Its not vegan as such but is full of common sense healthy eating "rules". He is mostly against all the processed, chemical laden modern foods. Its a small easy to read book. some of the rules are

- Ïts not food if it's called by the same name in every language (think Big Mac, Cheetos or Pringles).
- Eat only foods that will eventually rot.
-Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldnt recognise as food.

i have also just read Sweet Poison by David Gillespie. Again not vegan specific but it talks about sugar and why all the sugar that is put into processed foods is bad for you. This book has convinced me to cut back on how how much sugar I was eating. I didnt even realise how much was hidden in many of the products I was buying but I have learned to read the packaging for sugar content as well as for animal products to make sure the food is vegan.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Kiwi - good call! Please - Do. Not. Read. This. Book. Don't taint your minds, people, with this messed-up melange of muck!

By the time I turned out the light last night after turning the last page I was so furious I could hardly sleep! This author calls himself a "preventative cardiologist", yet recommends copious consumption of meats, cheese and fats, BUT limit legumes and fruit (i.e. you can have 14 blueberries! Or two strawberries!). Guess what this book is? Another Atkins spin-off. And you have to read 200 pages to find out (although my spidey sense was kicking in earlier on....).

How many trees had to die to produce this book? The only thing it's good for is to start a camp fire or line the bird's cage. Bah! Evil or Very Mad

Posted Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

That's why I like pcrm and drmcdougall.com - lots of common sense, research behind their statements, and results of their patients (many long-term results).

Posted Friday, May 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I'm pretty sure you could sue this guy, Mari. Or at least the library.

I mean, I know you didn't pay for the book, and you didn't follow the advice. But just the stress of reading some BS like that. Not to mention the time you wasted. Time is money, Mari.

Bottom line: someone's gotta pay for what you've just been through. What we've all just been through.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1533 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org