21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Accidental Recipes
Created on: 01/10/13 11:42 PM Views: 576 Replies: 1
Accidental Recipes
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I made a snack today that I felt like I was throwing together randomly but it came out so good I wanted to share it here. I don't have exact measurements so play with the ratios Smile

Ginger Red Lentils with Mango
Cook red lentils in boiling water (1c lentils : 3c water) for 10 to 15 minutes. Watch them around the 10 minute mark because red lentils can get mushy quickly. Once cooked, strain the extra water and set aside in a large bowl. Dice up a fresh mango and toss in with the lentils. Spice it up with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I had it cold but it probably would be good warm too. I want to make this again in a larger batch and serve it with some sauteed bok choy, sprouts, bamboo shoots, etc.

Anyone else come up with good recipes while experimenting with plant-strong foods?

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

RE: Accidental Recipes
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:38 AM

This week I tried using a baked potato instead of bread for my sandwich at lunch. I cut the baked potato(had 6 of them already pre-baked per the kickstart suggestion) in half and spread hummus on top. I sprinkled pre-cut green onion on the hummus and put pre-cut(on the weekend) mushrooms on the top of each and wow is this delicious.

This weekend I experimented with Lani Muelrath's Lentil Soup recipe. I used garlic, 2 onions(chopped), thyme and oregano, chopped and added 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, and mushrooms and 1 cup of red lentils and about 2 containers of Aldi's Sweet Onion Salsa, added a few cups of water, and simmered for a half hour. Then I chopped and added 2 big bunches of kale and simmered another 15 minutes. It tastes so-o-o-o good!

With the potato and kale-lentil soup, my lunches have been fabulous this week.

Edited 01/11/13 7:40 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 324 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org