21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: WHats on your plate today?
Created on: 11/05/13 08:54 AM Views: 1477 Replies: 9
WHats on your plate today?
Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Hello kickstarters....whats on your plate today?

B - rye bread w/hummus, roasted pepper and herbs
S - banana
L - buddha bowl (quinoa, beans, kale, mushrooms and tomato)
S - ???
D - Black bean chili and side salad (lettuce, peppers)

Love, Live, Laugh

RE: WHats on your plate today?
Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I'm about to have a big bowl of Ezekiel cereal with bananas and almond milk! I left black-eyed peas soaking in a bowl at home - so looks like I'll be having peas, rice, and kale when I return home for dinner!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My breakfast was cooked millet/quinoa/brown rice with some raisins, almond milk and mixed seeds plus 2 slices rice millet bread with a thin spread of tahini and some more mixed seeds on top. A huge breakfast, I know. I think my appetite is stimulated by the cold and my 6-7 mile run this morning.
Lunch will be mixed salad with cooked peppers/zucchini and mushrooms in a rice wrap with a dressing of avocado/tahini/balsamic vinegar/Dijon and lemon. A banana for dessert.
Dinner will be cooked greens and probably brown rice with some nut butter.
I can't tolerate any legumes,corn, wheat or dairy so they won't be on the menu. Boy do I wish they could be. I especially miss beans and soy. I tried black beans this past weekend and lentils yesterday and both times I suffered with not being able to sleep, swollen fingers, bloated body and achey joints. I guess I won't try that again for awhile!

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Breakfast was Oatmeal (we call it porridgeSmile with raisins & cinnamon.

No snack as not hungry.

Lunch was homemade soup, mainly butternut squash & carrot (but with Brussels sprouts, garlic, lemon juice, brown rice miso & marmite (yeast extract spread - as these all provide extra vitamins etc), I had the soup with a handful of vegan gnocchi. 2 slices of Zucchini Bread (kickstart recipe & very delicious), & an apple.

Dinner

Not sure?? Maybe Southern Greens & Beans or noodle soup OR a Dahl??

I'm very pleased to say that I've not felt hungry once since starting which is marvellous. I think I need to delve into grain cooking more to help keep it that way...

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Debby's savory cheesy oats from Happy Healthy Long Life, recipe here:
http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/recipe-index-recipage-.html?recipe_id=6043808

homemade minestrone & an orange for lunch

not sure about dinner

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I forgot to add a ginger carrot and parsnip soup for my lunch.

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

breakfast - toasted multi grain English muffin with peanut butter and apricot preserve

lunch - eastern European red lentil soup (leftovers from the other night's dinner) - Vegetarian Times recipe (minus the optional yogurt topping)

dinner tonight is planned to be black bean chili

I'll also probably have a handful of nuts and dried fruit before bed

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

@schweitzer53: your meals today all sound so delicious!! It's inspired me to try some more variety in my menu plan for this week.

As for myself, I had oatmeal this morning (with nutmeg and some chopped dried apricots, and a little maple syrup, and some soy milk).

Lunch was some brown rice, a little cubed tofu, and a whole bunch of fresh salad greens (and I mixed the whole thing with some homemade miso-almond dressing).

Dinner so far has been some rice pasta with tomato-basil marinara sauce. Nothing fancy there - I was hungry when I got home from work and I wanted something quick.

I'll make sure I also include some veggies later this evening. I need to head out to the laundromat (chores always have a way of sneaking up, eh?) But when I get home from doing laundry, I'm going to toast some pine nuts, steam some asparagus, and toss them with some fresh-squeezed lemon juice. I'm pretty sure asparagus doesn't keep fresh very long so I want to use them up soon.

Oh yeah, and I also had some homemade green juice this morning. I know there's some controversy out there RE: green juices spiking the blood sugar, but I recently bought myself a juicer on sale and wanted to try my hand at making juices. Plus, it meant that I was able to squeeze in way more greens today than I'd likely be able to eat otherwise: for my green juice, I used 2/3 head of kale, 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, 3 stalks of celery, 2/3 of a cucumber, 3 honeycrisp apples, and the juice of 2 lemons. I got the recipe from YouTube.

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Oh yeah, I'm also going to have a bunch of pineapple. Perhaps not tonight, but definitely over the next day or two. I bought myself a whole pineapple - I've never done that before, but the pineapple just looked so pretty at the supermarket, and it was cheaper than the already-cut-and-cored option. Now I'll just have to figure out how to core the pineapple myself.

Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Hi @sarahthetraveller - I've been inspired too.

Re pineapple, the key to flavour is ripeness & the way to check that it's ripe is (1) if the spiky leaves in the centre at the top pull out without effort, (2) smell, give the body a good sniff (it should have a bit of give if you give it a little twist too).

The best way I've found to cut it is the way they do in Thailand as there can be a lot of wastage getting the fibrous tufts out otherwise: Here's a video you can watch from The Raw Vegan Show. I use this technique even though the pineapples I buy never have a long stalk like this one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM12_DHt6v4

Enjoy Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 267 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org