21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Beginner's question - Pastry
Created on: 11/06/13 04:33 PM Views: 892 Replies: 5
Beginner's question - Pastry
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I love pastry! I know it's not good for me BUT how do I get a tasty pastry fix vegan style?

Thanks Wink

RE: Beginner's question - Pastry
Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

carlibeth wrote:

I love pastry! I know it's not good for me BUT how do I get a tasty pastry fix vegan style?

Thanks Wink

Not sure I understand the question - most pastries use vegetable shortening to start with. Aim for non-hydrogenated shortening (like Spectrum brand). Organic pastries would likely be made with non-hydrogenated shortening as well, read the label if there is one or ask about it if you're at a pastry shoppe/bakery. Also, most pastry fillings/toppings are things like chocolate, fruit, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg), and nuts - all of that is vegan (well, gotta check the chocolate and make sure there's no milk fat or anything added; also, white sugar can be processed with bone char, so that's an edge case you'll have to decide for yourself on). If you're looking for a custard, that's a whole different thing - but we make an awesome chocolate pudding that is vegan (plant milk, sugar, vanilla, cocoa, vegan chocolate chips, and corn starch for thickening). We've used that to make pie filling as well. There are many vegan pumpkin pie recipes out this time of year as well (I made one a few weeks ago and had several requests for the recipe - including one from someone who says she usually doesn't like pumpkin pie!)
--DebR

Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Thanks DebR
Maybe it's a Europe / USA difference as most pastry here is made with butter. I don't have any experience with vegetable shortening so will have to experiment to find one with butter like results. I'd love your chocolate pudding & pumpkin pie recipes if you have any spare time to post them Wink

Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

carlibeth wrote:

Thanks DebR
Maybe it's a Europe / USA difference as most pastry here is made with butter. I don't have any experience with vegetable shortening so will have to experiment to find one with butter like results. I'd love your chocolate pudding & pumpkin pie recipes if you have any spare time to post them Wink

Butter pastry is a specific type of pastry here, not all pastries use butter (pie crust for instance is typically a shortening based pastry)

Don't have the pumpkin pie recipe at hand - I found it online so a search for 'vegan pumpkin pie' should suffice - basically it's solid pack pumpkin, seasonings/spices, in a pecan pie crust (crushed pecans, agave, and a bit of melted margarine - same as you'd use for a graham cracker crust).

Chocolate Pudding
2 ¾ cups any kind of milk (almond, cow, coconut, etc.) divided into 2 ½ cups and ¼ cup
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (vegan)
2 tbl cocoa powder
6 tbl corn starch
¼ cup sugar (we use raw sugar for this)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Optional: 1 tsp cognac, brandy, rum, amaretto, etc.

Combine 2 ½ cups milk, chocolate chips and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the chips melt and it’s all well combined.
Combine corn starch, sugar, salt and mix well.
Add ¼ cup milk to corn starch mixture and stir until smooth
Pour corn starch mixture into chocolate mixture
Stir until it thickens and it looks like pudding
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla (and alcohol if desired)
Divide into cups (or pour into pre-baked pie shell) and chill

Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Thanks DebR
That's brilliant. I'll have a go at the pudding over the weekend.
It's fascinating that pastry differs so much over the two continents - here it's all with butter & LOTS of it and OR lard / pig fat as shortening (which in vegan terms is from bad to EXTREMELY bad!!!!).

Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM

carlibeth wrote:

Thanks DebR
That's brilliant. I'll have a go at the pudding over the weekend.
It's fascinating that pastry differs so much over the two continents - here it's all with butter & LOTS of it and OR lard / pig fat as shortening (which in vegan terms is from bad to EXTREMELY bad!!!!).

Over here, it depends on what kind of pastry it is - croissants would likely be made with butter, but pies would use vegetable shortening (almost no one uses lard - it's actually harder to find than vegetable shortening in most places). Anything using a phyllo would likely use butter.

For butter flavor, there are actually butter 'flavored' shortenings so folks can have the flavor but still use shortening. Of course, most of them are totally hydrogenated fat, but Spectrum brand has a non-dairy butter flavored non-hydrogenate vegetable shortening.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 244 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org