21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Brownies
Created on: 01/31/12 10:09 AM Views: 1755 Replies: 5
Brownies
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Does anyone have a brownie recipe that really tastes like brownies? Come on-some of these recipes that say "you can't tell the difference" are disgusting!
I don't want something that tastes like black beans, is dense as a hockey puck or as bitter as chalk.

RE: Brownies
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

linnie81 wrote:

Does anyone have a brownie recipe that really tastes like brownies? Come on-some of these recipes that say "you can't tell the difference" are disgusting!
I don't want something that tastes like black beans, is dense as a hockey puck or as bitter as chalk.

I just use my regular from-scratch brownie recipe and substitute ground flax + water for the eggs and vegan margarine for the butter. Generally, I'll use cocoa powder plus oil instead of melting the solid chocolate but I've also done the same recipe using vegan baking chocolate. Sometimes I also sub agave syrup for the sugar as well (that took a little tweaking to adjust the liquid/dry proportions). It's the basic fudge brownie recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens (red and white check) cookbook. I love to add just a sprinkle of cinnamon to it as well for a little extra 'kick'.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I like the brownie recipe in Engine 2 Diet book. It is almost fat-free. I use less sweetener than it calls for - about 1/4 cup, which is usually a combo of brown rice syrup and xylitol, sometimes some apple juice concentrate too. The recipe may be on the website, otherwise the book may be in your library since I think it was a NY times best seller

Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM

For Engine 2 diet brownies, you could also look at amazon and search in the book.

Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

cathyb wrote:

I like the brownie recipe in Engine 2 Diet book.

That's my favourite brownie recipe too.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Thank You! Thank You! Engine Number 2 Brownies are delicious!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 253 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org