21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Created on: 01/13/13 02:53 PM Views: 35137 Replies: 103
RE: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

ronjenk wrote:

Good to be home and eating right again!
Yes! It's always easier from the comforts of your own home. Smile

Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Hi all,

My weight loss continues again as I am down another lb since returning from my business trip. I am sure the added exercise I have done the last two days has helped as well. Blood levels continue to be right on

But most importantly is that I am stocked up again with the RIGHT foods and eating right again. The first thing I bought in the grocery store yesterday was a large container of spring greens and a large container of spinach leaves and started my routine again of having a very large bowl of mixed greens before eve3ry evening meal "salad is the main meal" (I keep remembering that slogan).

Keep foraging ahead! Wink

Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Big Milestone Today!!

Weighed in this morning at 209 lbs!! Finally crossed the first part of my goal which was 210. Started this "new way of life" 14 weeks ago at 227lbs. My goal for June is 200 but who knows.

I started this program not to loose weight but to stabilize my blood sugar levels. It has done that plus allowed me to drop one med altogether and cut another by 2/3 rd's and the bonus is loosing this weight!

The pay off is feeling great, lots more energy with a more positive outlook of me.

I just have to be careful now that my date book doesn't get too full..haha.

Stick too it people..it works! Have a good one. Wink

Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Congrats ronjek!! Glad you are doing so well. Please keep posting your progress, it is a great motivator for others.

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Another milestone! This is the week of firsts for me it seems. Lost another lbs. and from the weight chart I keep on this site, I have officially changed from the obese category to now being overweight!

If I use the BMI chart here I would estimate that I have never been just overweight in at least 25 years.

Going out for stir fried veggie celebration dinner!

Hang on people change is coming!

Have a great one . Wink

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

good going!

Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Happy Easter everyone!

Nothing new here, still on track and feeling great!

Enjoy the weekend. Razz

Posted Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Hi all,

Have had a really bad cold the last few days. Have not really changed my eating habits but to my dismay I found I have gain 2 lbs! Is it normal or possible to gain weight when sick with a cold?

Headed back to bed. Have a good week.

Posted Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Maybe you're just retaining water? It is important when you have a cold to have plenty of fluids, and although it may seem wrong, the more water you drink, the less you'll retain.

Jennifer

Posted Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Also, if you're eating the same amount but your expending way less energy, that could be a cause.

I wouldn't worry about it, just focus on getting over your cold.

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Just a quick note....Thanks for the support as of today I have officially lost 20 lbs.!!!!

Cold is slowly going away. Found it interesting that my blood readings were a bit higher while my cold was going on but from info on the net found that when sick that is normal.

Have a great week and don't give up! Wink

Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Hi all,

I slipped off the wagon last night and had a Chicken dinner at a restaurant with friends. Interesting enough is that I didn't feel well all night! My slips have been few in the last 3 + months but my health is great. Just had my annual physical and the Doctor was amazed at my glucose levels and was happy I had cut my metformin from 3 pills a day to 1 since my levels have been perfect for weeks! He was also happy about my 21 lbs. weight loss and so am I!!!!

I cannot stress enough the importance to follow this new way of eating and living. It really does work and for me the only thing keeping me from doing it was ME! Just remember you are special, there is no other in the world like you and you deserve to feel great!!

Be happy and be healthy!

Wink

Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Thank you for sharing!! Good living!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Great news about the weight loss and less meds! You're living proof plant strong is the way to go.

Deborah jm

Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

What do you do if you want to start in a country that does not have all of these wonderful ingredients? I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 dishes and just eating them to adnauseum. Reading the recipes makes me hungry but the reality is that I don't have the resources to create such wonderful dishes. Eating only greens keeps me hungry. HELP!!! Rolling Eyes

Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

What do you do if you want to start in a country that does not have all of these wonderful ingredients? I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 dishes and just eating them to adnauseum. Reading the recipes makes me hungry but the reality is that I don't have the resources to create such wonderful dishes. Eating only greens keeps me hungry. HELP!!! Rolling Eyes

Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Work with what you've got. Where do you live that there are so few plant foods?

Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM

No beans or grains available at all? Aim for a bean, a green and a grain - so, red beans and rice with a spinach salad is fine. A veg-full chili of beans, tomato sauce, and whatever vegetables you have (we've used corn, sweet potato, spinach, winter squash, onion, bell pepper, etc. in any combination) and spices. Wraps of a whole grain bread product (tortilla, chapatti, etc.) schmeared with hummus (which can be made with chickpeas or white beans etc.) and packed with all sorts of veggies (spinach, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, tomato, cucumber, and so on - whatever you have on hand).

Whether you're following the recipes exactly or not, it's possible (generally) to eat satisfying plant based meals.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I agree that you don't need to follow recopies. I have always said if this is to work for me it has to be simple and easy as I am not interested in spending a lot of time in the kitchen (other then for eating!). Go off the recipe map and use what you have that stays in the basic ingredients plan guidelines.

At first I did go buy some special things to try out some of the suggested recopies but most lie unopened still on my self. For the most part I enjoy what I eat on a daily basis but you wont find most of what I throw together on most people's menus!

My motivation is the fact that on the average, this plan works and I see weekly results. I do slip once in a while but my body is quick to tell me to get back in line. My weight loss, my med's reduction and general health all tell me I am doing the right thing.

So work with the basics and customize to your way of doing things. It works and its simple (if that's how you want it). At 63 (this weekend) I was surprised that this old dog could learn new tricks!

Happy eating! Wink

Edited 05/22/13 7:33 AM
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

HELP.... I have been doing great up to about a month ago when I started doing renovations to the house which means more exercise and expected a bit of a mussel weight gain and that did happen but I find I am hungry all the time now and have a hard time adjusting to what the body is asking for as far as intake and my sugar levels are not as stable as before the added exercise.

Any thoughts about this? What should I be doing?

Many thanks in advance for the help Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 82 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org