21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: new vegan
Created on: 03/04/13 08:42 AM Views: 2597 Replies: 14
new vegan
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Good morning,

I am a new vegan. I was diagnosed with a dairy allergy last year and got fed up with all the hidden dairy. So I opted to take control of the issue by cutting out all suspect food.

I also chose to change my diet due to lack of longevity in my family. I am in my mid forties with no health issues and hoping to make it past my mid sixties. With the exception of my father (who has Alzheimer's)none of his nine siblings lived to see seventy.

I am looking for some support and encouragement. I have found switching very easy though convincing my husband that this is the best option for me is not that easy...

RE: new vegan
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Good for you choosing to take as much control as possible. That's a huge, impressive step. And not one everybody is ready or willing to make, sometimes ever, unfortunately.

You are going to see some amazing benefits you probably didn't expect. Your husband will hopefully witness and appreciate these changes as well. It's really the best testimonial - a walking advertisement! Whether he decides to come along is totally up to him. In the meantime, stay strong and take care of YOURSELF.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM

You're in the right place for support! Like you, I was diagnosed with a problem with dairy before beginning this vegan lifestyle. Additionaly I have to avoid MSG, which is possible with a whole foods diet. MSG is found in all kinds of processed foods. (It's suppossed to be a flavor enhancer, but with real foods, that's not needed!)

Jennifer

Edited 03/04/13 9:26 AM
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM

You'll do great - just hang in there. It's amazing how great food tastes. My daughter has started telling her college classmates that we're vegan - but not the wierd ones???!!! She's asking for copies of my recipies - just because she likes the taste. Even if your husband doesn't become vegan, he'll probably have more vegan meals and be healthier because of it. Good luck!

Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

"Not the weird ones" - I love it!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

My nine-year-old daughter's classmates are asking for recipes! They are curious about her food, so sometimes I have been cutting things up for "samples." The big hits are chickpea fries (Bryana Clark Grogan's website - no oil used), and Happyherbivore.com's crispy chickenless nuggets. She took some homemade seitan today - I haven't heard the feedback yet.

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Thank you for the encouragement. I am very glad I found this site. I have already read some things on different forums that have shown me I am making some errors.

For example I feel like I have to use a lot of olive oil and eat a lot of nuts ect. The only nut I like are almonds but I have been making myself eat peanuts and walnuts. I am glad to hear I do not need as much oil or nuts as I thought.

Yesterday when I cooked up some vegetables I used cooking spray in place of oil. I loved that option.

I am very glad there are a lot of talking threads on here and a lot of like minded people so that I can continue to learn more about my chosen lifestyle.

Thank you for your comments and advice

Darcy

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Welcome to the vegan community!
I used to use olive oil but after finding out its not healthy like its made out to be, I've cut it out. And its made a difference, I'm losing fat! I am careful with nuts and seeds because of their high calorie and fat content so I make sure they are added in lightly for flavor. If you are an active person and don't need to lose weight, nuts are a good add-in. Remember though a person can easily get the necessary amount of protein without them so they aren't needed.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Darcyh wrote:

Yesterday when I cooked up some vegetables I used cooking spray in place of oil. I loved that option.

Check the ingredients on your cooking spray. I'm willing to bet the only ingredient listed is oil.

You can easily saute your veggies in either water or vegetable broth instead of the oil or spray.

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

WOW

Thank you Jodie...I won't tell you I have been cooking for a family pushing thirty years now and I did not know that...but I do now!

I will make that switch it sounds much healthier and that is what I am looking for a major health change.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

It has taken a long long time, but I think I have finally convinced my daughter (1Cool that she can stir fry without oil. It makes such a difference in clean-up. The oil would burn on the pan and be nearly impossible to clean off. If food burns on/sticks without oil (usually just on the sides of the pan), it mostly just soaks off. I don't even use a non-stick pan, just a basic stainless steel. Cooking without oil is great.

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Glad to be part of this community.I feel really good on day 7 only problem so far is I can't find any good brands of salad dressings, can you suggest any v-brands? I like ranch mostly?

thanks and good luck to all.

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Fomer0506 wrote:

Glad to be part of this community.I feel really good on day 7 only problem so far is I can't find any good brands of salad dressings, can you suggest any v-brands? I like ranch mostly?

thanks and good luck to all.

most ranch varieties are mayo-based, which means eggs and dairy most of the time (vegetarian but not vegan). Plus that's generally a lot of fat (from oils). I did a google recently and found a recipe that uses plant milk and oil to create an emulsion and then add the seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, etc) to get the 'ranch' flavor. But, still, there's the added fat/oil in it. There are some egg free soy mayo (veganaise like) based ranch dressings out there, not sure of brands that are totally vegan.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

For salad dressings, try drmcdougall.com. Look under quick links for recipes. Somewhere there is a list arranged by type of recipe. I love the cesaer dressing on the site - it is the recipe of a guest chef. My all-time favorite dressing comes from the Engine 2 Diet book (check your library for it). It is called E2 Basics. There is also a super simple one that is pretty good, called 321.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Bugsmom/Loveheart

Thank you both for your suggestions.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 610 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org