21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Job Interview!!!
Created on: 12/27/13 04:47 PM Views: 711 Replies: 3
Job Interview!!!
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Today I had an interview at a Montessori school to be the cook. They have a daycare and a school which goes up through third grade. The enrollment is diverse so there are students with specific dietary needs. Not to worry though, those needs restrict their consumption of animal products! If I get this job I'm hoping to make a big difference in the diet of the children at this school! As I'd be in charge of not only preparing the meals but also planning the menu, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jen

RE: Job Interview!!!
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM

That's great! Do check our resources at HealthySchoolLunches.org for supporting plant-based meals at schools, especially this newly updated recipe book: http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/school-lunch/vegan_quantity_recipes.pdf.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

That's awesome Jen! I really hope you get the job!

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Unfortunately I didn't get this job the end of last year, but Maggie, my daughter who is a teacher at this school, has been telling me "horror" stories about the meals the cook that was hired has been serving. For example, one day last week she served chicken pot pie and another day she served beef stew. Some of both was leftover, so she mixed those 2 together and served that mess. (Maggie said it looked like vomit.) The children wouldn't eat it. (Who could blame them!) This week one day they're having chicken tetrazine, the next chicken and rice, and then chicken cassarole. Maggie says the chicken cassarole is likely to be the leftovers of the first 2 mixed together!

Maggie said that all the teachers have been complaining about it and today (right in front of one of the owners) a teacher complained to the cook and the cook screamed at her--got right in her face--saying she was the only one who'd ever said anything bad about her cooking. Maggie said that's a lie because they've ALL complained! I told Maggie to tell them I'd still like the job if they decide to make a change. I certainly wouldn't fixed chicken most days, nor beef stew then mix it with leftover chicken casserole! Yech!!!

Jen

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 497 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: ummsarah

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org