21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Brown rice and arsenic?
Created on: 01/14/13 10:05 AM Views: 1279 Replies: 4
Brown rice and arsenic?
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I've heard a lot recently about the amount of arsenic that's found in rice. Brown rice is supposed to be worse, I've heard. Are there some sources of rice that are better than others? I love rice and I'd like to keep it in my diet.

I also see that many vegan recipes call for brown rice syrup. What can I substitute for the syrup?

Can you offer some guidelines?

Many thanks.

RE: Brown rice and arsenic?
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Great question. PCRM posted this assessment after the recent story on arsenic in rice: http://pcrm.org/search/?cid=3743. Hopefully that will provide some answers about best practices.

As far as subbing out brown rice syrup, I would consider maple syrup, although you may need less as brown rice syrup is quite mild in sweetness.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Susan,

Thank you so much for the link to the enlightening article. Much appreciated!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I was amazed at how DIFFERENT rice is when i rinsed it first!! Even my husband noticed the difference.

Finding a strainer was the hardest part. I had to find one where the holes were small enough for the rice not to fall thru, and also one where the rim didn't trap rice underneath it when i poured it into the pot.
Confused Now tho, i wouldn't cook rice without rinsing first... even the ones from thailand & india.

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

cch22 wrote:

I was amazed at how DIFFERENT rice is when i rinsed it first!! Even my husband noticed the difference.

Finding a strainer was the hardest part. I had to find one where the holes were small enough for the rice not to fall thru, and also one where the rim didn't trap rice underneath it when i poured it into the pot.
Confused Now tho, i wouldn't cook rice without rinsing first... even the ones from thailand & india.

Hey cch22,

I just use a wire mesh strainer - just a larger size. Maybe that's what you found worked too? I've gotten them at Target but the best and latest find was at IKEA.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 123 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org