21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Quorn bacon
Created on: 01/14/13 12:12 PM Views: 988 Replies: 5
Quorn bacon
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I live in the UK and have only been able to find Quorn bacon so far. The fat content is high, although saturated fat low. Not sure how this works out on the diet or what the verdict is on Quorn generally. Any experts out there?

RE: Quorn bacon
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

not an expert by any means but most Quorn products are not actually vegan - they use egg white as a binder (check the label for specific products, some may have a different formulation).
You might want to look at what it is about bacon (or facon, the faux bacon subs) that you are wanting - is it the salty? the fattiness? the smoky flavor? the crisp texture? Look for vegan options for those things - for example, roasting cooked chickpeas with a light dusting of chipotle powder gives them a smoky flavor and they get a little crunchy (not thin crispy though). Roast chickpeas with a sprinkle of sea salt is a nice snack as well if you're after salty (so is air popped popcorn with a little salt or nutritional yeast).
--DebR

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

As I suspected, the ingredients are:
Mycoprotein (55%), rapeseed oil, flavourings (with colour: iron oxides; smoke flavourings), water, dried free range egg white, gelling agents: locust bean & guar gums; humectant: glycerine; dextrose. Contains Egg. Produced in a factory which handles Milk, Gluten & Wheat.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I buy Fakin Bacon made with Tempeh. Here's a recipe from NutritionMD.org for Facon Bacon. I've never tried it but sounds good and easy.

http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=456

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We used the smoky maple flavored facon in the bacon, sprout and tomato sandwiches and it was great!

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Oops! Thanks for alerting me to that. I don't particularly want to eat bacon - it was in the plan!! Don't know if we can get Fakin bacon in the UK, will have to check.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 521 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org