21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: how to properly hold a cat?
Created on: 08/01/13 09:54 PM Views: 579 Replies: 2
how to properly hold a cat?
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Hi all, I know this Vegan kickstart is primarily aimed towards the dietary changes, but I don't know where else to go and ask this question, and I feel you are all, many of you, animal lovers and/or have cats, so you could help me.

I've been told that holding a cat like a baby, aka with its belly up and cradling it in your arms, is not good? so if i held my cat belly-side DOWN would that be ok?

When picking a cat up, do I use one arm behind its front two legs, above the rib cage? and one arm behind its back legs...like kind of scooping up his 'bum' or do I place that other arm in front of his back legs?

Thank you so much, and here's to August being a great vegan month!

RE: how to properly hold a cat?
Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I hold my tiger in a variety of ways, guided by her apparent comfort (she's rather wild and has no problem pushing or biting if she's displeased). At the vet's office, staff hold her most often w/ her front legs over the shoulder w/ a hand supporting her bottom or hind legs and the other hand below her shoulders. Perhaps you could consult w/ your vet for further suggestions?

RE: how to properly hold a cat?
Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM

My cat's 15 years old now, and she's certainly not my first! I have her because a neighbor abandoned her and I can't stand to see an animal abused. (Abandoning an animal like that is abuse!) She had several other evidences of abuse when I took her in and it cost me $300 at the vet's to get her well. My mother who is not a cat lover thought I should have had her put down. Anyway, yes, the way you described is the correct way to pick up a cat. My cat doesn't like being held tummy up. When I need to take her for vaccinations,etc., I wrap her in a towel so she won't scratch me. No, she's not declawed because she's in and out of the house as she pleases.

Jen

Edited 08/02/13 1:07 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 454 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org