21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Low HDL - Adrenal Exhaustion
Created on: 08/01/13 09:57 PM Views: 1440 Replies: 6
Low HDL - Adrenal Exhaustion
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Hi everyone... I was wondering if I could get some advice on this. I have developed really low HDL and have been told that I need cholesterol to stimulate certain hormones, and work my adrenal glands. I have been diagnosed with adrenal exhaustion and have had 2 doctors suggest strongly that I give up a vegan diet. Any advice on cholesterol and how I can raise my HDL to stimulate my adrenal glands? Thank you in advance.

RE: Low HDL - Adrenal Exhaustion
Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM

There aren't a lot of ways to raise HDL. One way is exercise, mild to moderate as you are able. Things like walking 20 minutes a day can help.

I'll be keeping an eye on this because hubby's LDL/HDL profile is not good, whereas mine has always been excellent (my HDL and LDL are virtually identical in the mid 70s, without medication but with veg eating and mild exercise - and good genes)

--DebR

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

May I ask what level of HDL your physician has deemed too low? And what is your LDL level?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Hi Susan,

HDL - 29
LDL - 111
Total - 159

Chol/HDL Ratio 5.5

While I know this isn't an issue when pertaining to heart disease, I have been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue. My morning cortisol level (taken at 8:30am) was 6.5 in addition to a whole host of other symptoms.

I've read that cholesterol helps stimulate certain hormone function... and so, now I have 2 doctors trying to tell me to get off a vegan diet because a vegan diet cannot support my adrenal glands as they heal.

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I nor any of the physicians on staff are aware of a connection between dietary cholesterol and improved adrenal function. I am reaching out to an expert on the matter, so if I hear back from him, I'll report back here.

One of my favorite sayings by cardiologist Dean Ornish, M.D., is that you don't need a lot of dump trucks (HDL) if you don't have a lot of garbage (LDL).

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Thank you Susan, I appreciate it.

In theory I know I don't need a lot of dump trucks... but my LDL is out of the optimal range, so I might need a couple more trucks. Smile

Thanks again for checking further into the matter.

Posted Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

The physician with whom I spoke doesn't think dietary cholesterol will play a role in adrenal health. If anything, you will want to avoid dietary cholesterol in order to get optimal LDL numbers.

If I were you, I would ask the doc who told you this for some specific references to support the recommendation.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 339 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kayleenhoran, keresyk

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org