21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: The Future
Created on: 06/30/12 09:13 AM Views: 2887 Replies: 11
The Future
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I just got back from a hiking workout. When I reached the top of the hill and started down the other side of the hill, something that has been bothering me for a while finally surfaced in tears. Colin T. Campbell and Dr. McDougall and Dr. Esselstyn can't stay active forever. They've tried to tell people about eating plant-based but most people have not listened.

And when they retire, what is going to happen to the world?

Do they have children who will continue to spread the word?

Any thoughts?

RE: The Future
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

This movement is gaining momentum, at least from my perspective. I've been vegetarian since 2000 and I can tell you there are a LOT more vegetarians now than then. Vegan was hardly heard of, I didn't know any, and thought it was WAY too hard to be one.

John Robbins' son Ocean Robbins is now working with his dad and spreading the word. Dr. Esselstyn's son Rip has written a cookbook (or two?), has a web site and a very active presence on facebook.

Jeff Novick is very active in the McDougall community and on facebook.

I'm sure there are others. One of them, maybe Joel Fuhrman, has a daughter that has written something for young people.

It's like dropping a pebble in a pond, the ripples just keep spreading. You are an ambassador, I'm setting an example, others are motivating their kids, neighbors, co-workers.

Too many average, every day people are out there talking about how they are reversing the major diseases that plague our society. You can't put that cat back in the bag.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

veganer wrote:

I just got back from a hiking workout. When I reached the top of the hill and started down the other side of the hill, something that has been bothering me for a while finally surfaced in tears. Colin T. Campbell and Dr. McDougall and Dr. Esselstyn can't stay active forever. They've tried to tell people about eating plant-based but most people have not listened.

And when they retire, what is going to happen to the world?

Do they have children who will continue to spread the word?

Any thoughts?

Veganer,

One of Dr. McDougall's sons, Craig, is a physician working in Portland Oregon. He is often in attendance at the McDougall events in Santa Rosa, CA, and for all appearances is following in his father's footsteps.

And don't forget Matt Lederman, M.D., star of Forks Over Knives and his physician wife Alona Pulde, also a physician. Their focus is wellness through whole foods, plant based diet and they are working closely with Whole Foods Market as well as at their own Wellness Center.

http://web.me.com/exsalus/Transition_to_Health/Our_Doctors.html

I had the honor of speaking with Matt Lederman while writing my book and have spoken with him and heard him present on several occasions - watch for more from him!

Hope this gives you hope!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Look on the brightside, Veganer. People like Mercola will also retire eventually.

Plus what Vicki and Lani said.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Did anyone mention Daphne Oz ?

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, July 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

This is a special time right now as we are very fortunate to have the pioneers Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. McDougall, and Dr. Esselstyn, and other leaders by our side. I think it is something worth stopping for a minute to recognize and appreciate. In the future, things will never be the same.
It is vitally important the parts that leaders play in our future, leaders such as Ocean Robbins, Rip Esselstyn, Jeff Novick, Joel Fuhrman's daughter, Craig McDougall, Matt Lederman and his wife Alona Pulde, Daphne Oz and others. I hope we all carry the dreams of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. McDougall, and Dr. Esselstyn in our hearts and hold onto their inspiration and the strong sense of caring which they have for us. And like Wild4Stars said, we are all ambassadors, the ripples are already spreading, and nothing, nothing will stop us now!

Thank you Wild4Stars, Lani Muelrath, and Theodore.

Edited 07/05/12 8:08 PM
Posted Friday, July 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The ripples can't spread fast enough for me. I have been in so many situations lately where the only things to eat were junk. One had cheeseburgers, dips with sour cream and cheese, salads with mayo and cheese, etc. My daughter went to a friends house and had lunch there - cheese pizza, cupcakes, and popsicles! My husband and two kids don't see anything wrong with fast food and lots of cheese, oil, etc. Can't wait til people learn the truth, and not what the dairy council et al teaches, then maybe I won't seem so weird and radical.

Posted Sunday, July 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Sorry to hear this, Cathy.

I find it disheartening that after everything Daphne Oz has done to get the word out, there are still some parts of the world that remain largely oblivious to her message.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, July 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Good question Cathy. I asked myself, "How can I or we as ambassadors help spread the ripples faster?"

1)Live and let live and set a good role model
2)Bring plant-based food to social functions or work once in a while or invite people to our home for a meal once in a while.
3)Call our local libraries and check to see if they have Dr. Barnard, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr.T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Furhman's books and DVDs. local college libraries?
4)Make copies of index cards with simple recipes for local grocery stores to set on a little table for customers to take for free if approved by their management. Maybe they wouldn't mind since people would have to buy Their ingredients to make them.

On Friday I called two local libraries and was happy to hear they had most of the books/DVDs but they didn't have Prevent and Reverse so I ordered it on Amazon.com and I am going to donate it. Won't hurt me to donate one book.

I called a local grocery chain and the marketing person said it would be okay if I brought in the recipe cards for them to review. I could share my own recipes. If they were recipes from one of the books do I need to ask permission from the author if I can share them?

Edited 07/08/12 11:03 AM
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM

if anything I think eating vegan is getting more mainstream. When famous people like Bill Clinton and the beautiful American actress Michelle Pfeiffer become vegan, it's getting the word out. Saturday I bicycled 84 hilly miles & Sunday I rode 60 hilly miles. I did not need any pain meds which would have been impossible before I became plant strong. I think each of us is an ambassador for clean living.

Posted Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Thank you for your encouraging words Marge.

I must say that it is really great that you bicycled 84 hilly miles and then the next day 60 hilly miles and you are plant strong.

Thanks for saying that each of us is an ambassador for cleaning living.

Posted Monday, July 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Time magazine this week had in their "10 questions for" interview feature Scott Jurek, a vegan ultramarathoner. In it, he admits that as a kid, he hated vegetables and hated to run. Now he is vegan and runs a LOT (ultramarathons are a bit nuts IMO).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 194 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org