21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Forks Over Knives - screening
Created on: 05/12/12 01:57 AM Views: 2143 Replies: 11
Forks Over Knives - screening
Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I am beside myself with shock and fury. I attended a free screening of "Forks Over Knives" tonight put on by an integrated medical/wellness clinic. Their flyer touted it as "A Movie That Could Save Your Life". And there was a panel discussion to follow. Oh goody, I thought. This will be great!!

The movie was fabulous and it was so neat to see "old friends" like Drs. Barnard, Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell and MacDougall. But the question and answer session that followed was appalling!!! One doctor on the panel had the nerve to say "I'd die if I ate that diet!" What the...?!?! They said cooking with butter was fine!! They encouraged eating cheese!! Yogurt is just great! Don't forget to eat eggs! Nothing wrong with eating meat! Go ahead and use all the "good oils" you want! Oh and - "well, a vegan diet just doesn't work for everyone". OMG. I was beside myself!! My friend started to say a little prayer to herself that I wouldn't stand up and say anything because she knew I was ready to snap.

I will be writing a SCATHING email to that clinic tomorrow for the irresponsibility shown when they had such opportunity to promote a life saving program. This group of dimwits are clearly just into job security by encouraging their patients to continue on the path to illness. Sorry for the rant but I just had to vent. GAH!!! Mad

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

RE: Forks Over Knives - screening
Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Yikes!!!! That is just awful!!! I'm totally shocked.

But calm down before you give yourself a heart attack, cause then they'd just point their fingers and say, See what being a vegan can do to you.

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Oh my.

There is a well known Gandhi quote which may help. It goes something like " First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then you win.". Truth always wins in the end. Just keep being the change and people will notice. But do take action. I wonder if the clinic was fully aware of these doctors' attitudes. I went to a presentation on vitamin supplements put on by a known vegan group recently in my small town. The presenter was a progressive chiropractor. Turns out he subscribes to the blood type theory, which promotes that I (O negative) should eat meat. I think a lot of people were surprised!

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a commonality among all of the competing food trends, including paleo and vegan, and that is to eat real food. If we all completely cut the food like substances that get sold as food, we would be better off. Vegan would be the next step for many people. These doctors were only showing their ignorance. It is too bad, considering that a public opportunity to educate was lost. How did the public respond? Were they defensive about their SAD lifestyle and relieved by the answers, or did they leave still thinking about what they had seen in the movie?

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I love that Ghandi saying. I have to agree - hearing grumbles may mean we are closer to change than if there were a silent reaction to such films!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

It's really important to write a letter and give lots of feedback for something like this. I'm a physician and I occasionally attend talks on weight loss or nutrition where the speaker spreads misinformation.

Typically the "experts" who espouse this nonsense don't present any real information or published studies. So you can point out their ignorance, and how inappropriate it is to have such a poorly informed spokesperson being presented as an "expert".

And include as many Carbon Copies as possible, including one to the speaker, and to someone the speaker knows, like a colleague, or maybe the local medical society.

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone. SLT, you made me laugh. I'm sure my blood pressure was in the unhealthy range last night!

I was hoping someone has the number for the Dalai Lama. I need an appointment quick so I can gets some tips on maintaining inner peace during times like last night! In the meantime, Madeline, you're quote will help. Smile

The more I mull it over the more I remember things that were said, like this gem: "McDonald's used to use beef fat to fry their french fries but now they use vegetable oil. Actually, the beef fat was healthier!" (no, I'm not kidding!!)

I think what really got me was the ignorance that "this is an American film so focuses on American problems. It's not necessarily the same here." (in Canada). Give me a flippin' break.

I took my friend to this screening who is very overweight and has MS. I have tried to tell her what I have learned over the years and to get her to join Kickstart etc. (she joined Dr. Bernstein instead, lost 90 lbs and has regained it all). I thought this film was a great way for her to hear the message from experts - not just me. And then that panel opened their big mouths and spewed out all that manure....

I felt sorry for the audience. Some people got up and left but for others, clearly not knowing the truth and likely believing these doctors, I'm sure confusion reigns.

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM

spindoctor wrote:

It's really important to write a letter and give lots of feedback for something like this. I'm a physician and I occasionally attend talks on weight loss or nutrition where the speaker spreads misinformation.

Typically the "experts" who espouse this nonsense don't present any real information or published studies. So you can point out their ignorance, and how inappropriate it is to have such a poorly informed spokesperson being presented as an "expert".

And include as many Carbon Copies as possible, including one to the speaker, and to someone the speaker knows, like a colleague, or maybe the local medical society.

Love this response, Spindoctor. It's great to have you aboard, Sir.

Unfortunately most doctors have little knowledge about nutrition and yet they feel comfortable being on an "expert" panel discussing a film like this.

Here's an interesting video from Dr Greger's website that shows what happens in the courts when someone (Dr McDougall I believe) suggested increased mandatory nutrition training for doctors:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/medical-associations-oppose-bill-to-mandate-nutrition-training/

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

OH EM GEEEE, Theodore!! That video was unbelievable. Imagine that teachers do up to five DAYS of professional development per school year, and doctors, who possibly "teach" patients about nutrition, resist 7 HOURS every four years or so. Well, for some, it's all about "wealth care" not "health care" I reckon. Shocked

And yes, Spindoctor, thank you for weighing in. I've taken your advice to heart and have drafted a letter. I shall wait one more day and read it again to ensure no points are missed and I don't come across as a raving lunatic. Smile Clearly, this has gotten to me when I re-read my earlier post awash with grammatical errors.

Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Mariberry wrote:

OH EM GEEEE, Theodore!! That video was unbelievable. Imagine that teachers do up to five DAYS of professional development per school year, and doctors, who possibly "teach" patients about nutrition, resist 7 HOURS every four years or so. Well, for some, it's all about "wealth care" not "health care" I reckon. Shocked

I totally agree, Mari.

Mariberry wrote:

And yes, Spindoctor, thank you for weighing in. I've taken your advice to heart and have drafted a letter. I shall wait one more day and read it again to ensure no points are missed and I don't come across as a raving lunatic. Smile Clearly, this has gotten to me when I re-read my earlier post awash with grammatical errors.

You're right to be angry about this, Mari. And it's not the first time I've heard about something like this. There's a video on youtube where the same sort of thing happens. But they were more subtle aboout it, I guess because Rip Esselstyn was there on the panel.

The deal seems to be: "we'll show your film, but only if we get to trash it afterwards."

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Here is the response I got to my email (bolding mine):

"Thank you for your email. We appreciate the time you took to share with us your view point. As you can understand, there are many different views on this topic . We all have our unique biochemical profile and require a different diet. Our goal with this particular event is to emphasize that diet cannot be overlooked and is crucial for health promotion. We encourage you, as with anyone with health-related concerns, to consult your physician for diet and medical advice that best suits you."

Posted Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Marlberry, it was a great thing you did by sending your letter. That's one thing all of us can do. If we remain silent, our views will be ignored. If all of us get louder & send letters - to restaurants, to meeting organizers (if food is served at a meeting), and letters to the editor, we'd make progress faster than ever.

I wonder if it makes sense to write letters to groups like the American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, etc. (These groups seem to be focused on *prescribing* our way out of the obesity crisis. Not surprisingly since they are essentially arms of the pharmaceutical industry.

I am going to write a letter to the American Cancer Society, though. (These letters work only when you include a lot of carbon copy recipients, like a cc to your newspaper, Medical Society, etc.). There was is a festival where the ACS has a booth, raising money by selling . . . Hot Dogs!!!! (I got a photo!!).

Mariberry wrote:

Here is the response I got to my email (bolding mine):

"Thank you for your email. We appreciate the time you took to share with us your view point. As you can understand, there are many different views on this topic . We all have our unique biochemical profile and require a different diet. Our goal with this particular event is to emphasize that diet cannot be overlooked and is crucial for health promotion. We encourage you, as with anyone with health-related concerns, to consult your physician for diet and medical advice that best suits you."

Posted Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Mariberry wrote:

I was hoping someone has the number for the Dalai Lama. I need an appointment quick so I can gets some tips on maintaining inner peace during times like last night!

011 44 20 7836 6377

This is the number that came up on screen last time he called me anyway.

T

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 73 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org