21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Blood Test Results
Created on: 03/23/12 03:37 PM Views: 10655 Replies: 35
RE: Blood Test Results
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I am having the same lack of results in lowering my cholesterol. I have been vegan since June of last year. Prior to that, I was taking 80 mg per day of Lipitor. I discontinued the Lipitor and for the last 2 blood draws 4 months apart, my cholesterol has been around 250. I read somewhere that this was not bad if your cholesterol was "pattern B" although I havent found a health professional who knows what that is or tests for it.

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM

As far as I know, there is no peer-reviewed research to support the "pattern B" theory.

While a vegan diet will clean out all of the dietary cholesterol and most of the saturated fat, it doesn't mean you can't get saturated fat from plant-food sources. Saturated fat negatively influences your blood cholesterol, more so than dietary cholesterol, so watch your intake there. Often times a vegan diet can be high in saturated fat if you add oils/nut butters, eat more than 1 oz of nuts per day, or eat a lot of packaged snack foods.

Now that you have vegan down pat, focus on low-fat, especially if you have troublesome cholesterol levels.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Thanks for the information, I do eat a lot of nuts. I will try to cut down on those. Are there any other troublesome substances I should avoid?

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Added oils at home and out at restaurants, which can be tricky.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

Added oils at home and out at restaurants, which can be tricky.

And, when you use added oils, try to make it EVOO.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

EVOO still has saturated fat. If you are using oil, use the spray kind or add very little. If you read Neal Barnard's book Get Healthy Go Vegan, he suggests sauteeing in broth or water. That eliminates a lot of fat/cholesterol. Eat less Avacodos and olives. Sometimes, no matter what we do diet wise, we have high cholesterol because of hereditary tendencies. So, keep up the diet, but get the doctor's help because you may still neet meds, but you might not need as much because of your diet.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

If we do not eat some sat fat, our gall bladder will build up sludge and we will develop or worsen gall bladder disease. Saturated fat triggers the gall bladder. Other fats and oils will do this too but not as successfully. Why so many dieters develop gall bladder problems; not eating enough fat.

Edited 04/08/12 12:26 PM
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM

repeat post removed. see below.

Edited 04/08/12 12:33 PM
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Cholesterol is natural for humans because we are animals, and all animals make cholesterol. Unless you have cardiovascular disease a cholesterol level of 250 is not high, especially for a woman. Our bodies have a set level for cholesterol which differs for each of us. You pretty much cannot change that by diet, and should not try. Eating healthy means moderation in everything. If we weren't meant to eat fat, we wouldn't have gall bladders and an apendix nor the type of digestive system we have. We aren't cows or rabbits. Happy Easter.

Edited 04/08/12 12:33 PM
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

ATTN: Ms. Levin:

Evidence for Caution: Women and statin use.

Read this before you take a statin.

From Women and Health Protection, under the auspices of Health Canada (Canadian equivalent to the FDA).

http://www.whp-apsf.ca/pdf/statinsEvidenceCaution.pdf

Edited 04/08/12 12:40 PM
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I don't think anyone here is saying statins are ideal nor the first line of defense. But the evidence supports having a lower cholesterol number in order to maintain a healthy heart and reduce the risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease.

More peer-reviewed evidence cited here: http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=148.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Even the lead author of Framingham has said it did not prove what it was set out to prove. In other words, the end point was a surprise.

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/saturated-fats.html

"(...) the famous 1964 Framingham study was supposed to show that eating a diet high in saturated fat would increase cholesterol levels.

In 1992, Dr. William Castelli, the director of the Framingham study, declared publicly that the Framingham results did no such thing.

Instead, he said, the data showed that for this group of study subjects, "the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the persons’ serum cholesterol levels."

Today, the Harvard School of Public Health website refutes the "low fat" theory, saying:

"Eat a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet" has been the mantra for healthful eating for decades. Touted as a way to lose weight and prevent or control heart disease and other chronic conditions, millions of people have followed (or, more likely, have tried to follow) this advice. Seeing a tremendous marketing opportunity, food companies re-engineered thousands of foods to be lower in fat or fat free. The low-fat approach to eating may have made a difference for the occasional individual, but as a nation it hasn't helped us control weight or become healthier. In the 1960s, fats and oils supplied Americans with about 45 percent of their calories; about 13 percent of us were obese and under 1 percent had type 2 diabetes, a serious weight-related condition. Today, Americans take in less fat, getting about 33 percent of calories from fats and oils; yet 34 percent of us are obese and 8 percent have diabetes, most with type 2 diabetes.

Walter Willett, the chair of the Department of Nutrition within the Harvard School of Public Health has said that "the focus of dietary recommendations is usually a reduction of saturated fat intake, no relation between saturated fat intake and the risk of CHD was observed in the most prospective study to date."

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Both Ancel Keys and Castelli disagree with Framingham. As we know "peer review" can be bought, has been bought.

"What did Ancel Keys think, more recently, about the connection between cholesterol in the diet, and cholesterol in the blood?

"There's no connection whatsoever between cholesterol in food and cholesterol in blood. And we've known that all along. Cholesterol in the diet doesn't matter at all unless you happen to be a chicken or a rabbit." Ancel Keys, Ph.D., professor emeritus at the University of Minnesota 1997.

"In Framingham, Massachusetts, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower people's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories weighed the least and were the most physically active." Dr William Castelli 1992 (Director of the Framingham study).

~~~~

Because you *are* a scientist I thought you would like to read the whole article. http://www.thincs.org/Malcolm.choltheory.htm

Edited 04/08/12 5:57 PM
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The preponderance of evidence supports a low-fat, plant-based diet to prevent and reverse heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some forms of cancer. PCRM is going to stick to the peer-reviewed science. You can try and see if it works for you, which I'm guessing it would. But you certainly do not have to do anything that makes you uncomfortable.

You can continue to partake in the Kickstart actively or passively (or not at all).

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

When I see someone saying she has been diagnosed with Diabetes 2, and is on Statins, I feel I have a responsibility to inform her about evidence-based information. What she does with it is up to her.

People also have a right to know that the authors of the "peer reviewed" cholesterol-lowering information you have posted are in conflict of interest to the pharmaceutical companies that benefit by us constantly trying to lower our cholesterol. As you know it's nearly impossible to consistently do that with diet, so they will be prescribed cholesterol lowering medication very soon, and the majority of them will be harmed, and made to feel they are failures, and have caused their "illness", when really all it is is an illness of punctuation. The numbers you've cited as desirable for cholesterol were determined by the drug companies that make and sell them, not by any evidence.

Many writers of diabetes, cholesterol guidelines have conflict of interest:
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2011/10/24/prsc1025.htm

I believe the Cochrane Collaboration is world-wide trusted as unbiased and evidence-based source. As for medical journals, we have all seen how they too take money for publishing bogus studies, which is why many cholesterol and Diabetes researchers have broken ranks with them, and along with other conscientious researchers, formed PLoS.

Edited 04/08/12 10:13 PM
Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I think this forum is supposed to be about giving help to others, not starting an argument about if medicines are good for you or bad if you are diagnosed to have a medical condition or illness. Medications can be life-saving, and FDA is in charge of making sure drugs are safe and effective to use. Yes, once in a while one gets past them, but they are in charge of our drugs, and doctors are helping us to stay well. You need to trust the doctors and that they know what they are doing. That is their expertise. But also be an advocate for yourself if you feel they are wrong.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 650 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org