21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: banana substitute?
Created on: 08/02/13 06:14 PM Views: 1323 Replies: 6
banana substitute?
Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hi,
I'm allergic to bananas, but the smoothie without them seems to only have the staying power of just fruit juice--not enough to be a breakfast or snack.

Does anyone have a substitute for bananas that will make a smoothie as substantial as the banana smoothies?

Many thanks!

RE: banana substitute?
Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Ice is a good way to thicken a smoothie; so is a plant-based milk like soy or almond. Another good substitute is frozen fruit, like mango or strawberries - great thickeners.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I do not use bananas, either, in smoothies (or anything else). In addition to frozen fruit, I also add a scoop of vegan protein powder. It may just be my imagination, but I think it makes it a bit thicker and makes it more substantial.

Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

What about using a strained vegan yogurt? Line a strainer with cheese cloth, dump in a plain or vanilla vegan yogurt and let some of the liquid drain away so that the yogurt will thicken. Use the thickened yogurt in your smoothie.

Jen

Posted Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Although I don't do many smoothies anymore, I've never liked bananas in smoothies so I used as a thickener fresh baby spinach leaves. I know that sounds weird, but when I added 1 cup of spinach leaves (loosely packed) to frozen fruit, soy milk, and sweetener, the spinach thickened the smoothie. You also won't taste the spinach at that amount (I would do 1 cup frozen fruit to 1 cup spinach but I think even 2 cups fruit/1 cup spinach would be fine). It also is a good way to sneak some greens into your diet Smile.

Djuna

Posted Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't looking for thickening ideas--without all of those banana starches, a non-banana smoothie was just a glass of soymilk and some fruit--not enough breakfast to last all morning. I'll try the soy yogurt and protein powder ideas, though--those seem like they'd give some real energy to the smoothie.

Although, I think I'm actually going to stop doing this and go back to eating some fats and some meat and eggs. I started the vegan experiment to try to regularize my blood sugar swings before I slip into the family diabetes, but since I started the Kickstart, my low blood sugar dips have become more frequent and more intense. Any diet that leaves me sweating through my clothes and trembling several times a day--including while my stomach is still full from a meal--is not the right one for my metabolism, clearly.

Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

If you're not trying to thicken your smoothie, there's no need to "drain" the yogurt prior to adding it to your smoothie.

Jen

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 138 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org