21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Please make the recipes seasonal!
Created on: 12/29/13 11:43 PM Views: 545 Replies: 2
Please make the recipes seasonal!
Posted Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Hi, I'm wondering why you don't gear the menus to the season? For instance in the first week for this January 1, 2014 you have a dish with asparagus in it and call it a lovely springtime addition (or something like that). I've noticed this before with other recipes. The items are just not in season at the time of year I am doing the kickstart. I know I can choose a different recipe of course but just wondering why not make it seasonally appropriate in the first place.

RE: Please make the recipes seasonal!
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

That's a great idea! I'm always hoping they change the recipes also - maybe quarterly or they could rotate three sets of recipes???

RE: Please make the recipes seasonal!
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM

one problem is that an international program, such as kickstart, doesn't have just one 'season' - it's summer in Australia right now but winter here in New England USA. And, even though it's winter in the US in general, CA and FL still have something of a growing season. So, seasonal for who? I suppose they could do a set of 'summer' recipes and so on, and you pick which set/season you are in, but even then, how does one account for things that are seasonal in one area but not in another?

Just adjust the recipes for the nearest similar item - or buy frozen organic varieties (even things like kale are available frozen for year round use, without being super expensive as fresh out of season greens might be).

And, too, as long as it follows the basic outline, go ahead and go off-recipe and make something that fits the seasonal things you have access to - after all, there are DIY meals built right into the plan.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1334 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org