21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Three phrases from a dr.
Created on: 01/16/13 12:42 PM Views: 468 Replies: 2
Three phrases from a dr.
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

.....that show lack of interest in nutritional education:

Eat everything in Moderation.
You need to get enough protein.
All the studies contradict each other.

Took my Dad to the Dr. After 6 years of treatment I asked the Dr. if there was any improvement with the various treatments my Dad had received and he said no.

I asked the Dr. if there was anything about his diet that could help him.

The Dr. said "just continue taking the vitamins"

I asked him if he had taken any nutritional classes.

(He is starting to get apprehensive.)

Dr. said no.

I asked him about if there were any specific studies out about a plant based diet helping my Dads condition.

He said, One study will say this, and another study will say that, one says to eat carbohydrates one says to eat protein. He added that he eats meat and would not advise his patients to do anything different just eat in moderation.

I told him I had just gotten back from a nutritional conference and the Doctors there listed my Dads condition as one that could benefit from a plant based diet, and that the plant base diet was working for me.

He said, you look healthy, so it's working for you but his concerned would be about his patients getting enough protein and he would not recommend it.

I asked him him if he ever saw a patient with a protein deficiency, he said no and quickly exited the room.

Doctors out there, please study up on nutrition and studies that might be beneficial to your patients.

Edited 01/16/13 1:12 PM
RE: Three phrases from a dr.
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thank you for sharing! It takes a village.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Three phrases from a dr.
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Dontx: Doctors get about an hour of nutrition in med school, just as veterinarians get the same and prescribe their crappy Hills Science Diets like they have a clue about nutrition. I'm glad you said what you said to him, most people are too afraid to talk to their MD like they are regular people who just have a degree. Good for you for being such an advocate for your father!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 519 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org