21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Pre-diabetic
Created on: 01/16/13 01:19 PM Views: 787 Replies: 4
Pre-diabetic
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I've been pre diabetic for a few years. Unable to lose weight or lower the blood sugars despite dieting and regular exercise. So I decided to look for something completely different to try.

Starting the Kickstart tomorrow.

I'm just going to follow as closely as possible while learning more about vegan. I'm motivated to decrease my blood sugars and avoid diabetes while losing some weight. I'm reading Dr. Bernard's Program for Reversing Diabetes and thought this would be a good way to try the diet while taking time to read the book instead of rushing forward to the menu's. I need to either cut the recipes to 2-4 servings and use leftovers since I'm cooking for 1-2 most days. Don't think it will be a problem, but it will take me more than 21 days to eat the food. I'll stock up on basics and get enough groceries for the next few days and take it from there. Planning to make the Day 2 Moroccan Bean Stew with Sweet Potatoes for this evening for a healthy dinner.

RE: Pre-diabetic
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Good for you! Very Happy

One thing to keep in mind is this is a lifestyle change, not a 'diet' as most people think of that word. It does change the way you eat, but also your habits related to food and your taste - for instance, my family (self, hubby and 14 yr old son) just don't like the standard name brand PB anymore - they taste/feel like peanut flavored sugared shortening (which is basically what most of them are). We don't like the taste, the texture, or how we feel if we somehow end up with some (like at a social event). Plain, unsalted, peanut butter where the only thing on the label is "peanuts" (not even "peanut oil" added) is our preference. Hubby was amazed at how different his taste buds are after growing up on one of the well-known name brands and now he just won't eat it because it doesn't taste good.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I agree with Deb, this is a lifestyle change not a diet. You will feel wonderful when you transition! Dr. Barnard has great info about how a vegan lifestyle can reverse diabetes and so does Dr. John McDougall. My mom has diabetes and has for years. I'm working with her right now on becoming vegan and she is doing well so far. She is a week and a half in and not giving up Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Thanks DebR and Amanda - Excited to make positive changes toward health and fitness. Heading out to shop for the first few days worth of food. All the recipes already appeal to me. My friend was a bit anxious about no meat or dairy, but I told him the he's welcome to eat whatever I'm eating, and he can add meat/chicken/fish/dairy/sweets etc as he wants, but I requested that he not leave these items in my kitchen.

Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Shopping done this afternoon. My friend Alan helped me put away the groceries and kept making positive remarks about what I will be cooking. He's all excited about the banana muffins. Just fixed my first vegan dinner from the plan- Moroccan bean stew with sweet potatoes served over couscous. Prep was about 1/2 hour, cooking time another 1/2 hour. Very flavorful and satisfying. Alan had his with a piece of chicken. He loved the stew and went back for seconds! Looks like this will be an exciting adventure exploring new foods and favors!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 206 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org