21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Great News Coffee Blood Pressure
Created on: 02/03/12 10:26 PM Views: 2463 Replies: 6
Great News Coffee Blood Pressure
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Hi! Most of you don't know me. In fact I don't think I posted at all January 2012. Quick update, I'm in my 50's, petite, 114 lbs., a hard core bicylist, vegan since 2010,in 2011 developed blood pressure that is out of this world. At my worst 168/100. So scary. Got on meds, all kinds of complications. got depressed, started reading, reading, reading (internet) lurked on Dr. McDougall's community page, low and behold there was another woman that fit my profile, except she only drank green tea. ( I drink Starbuck's bold roast drip, 2 cups black everyday.) Some how she got Dr. Esselstyn to call her direct, and he suggested she give up the green tea all together. So she did and her blood pressure got into the normal range. Wake Up call, Marge! Wake up! Stopped coffee on January 28th. Today took my blood pressure, 117/84! (on meds) I have tears in my eyes. only 7 days without coffee, such a difference! Thank you for reading this far. My goal for 2012 is to get off the meds all together. Thank you Dr. Barnard, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Susan Levin. Thank you all Kickstarters!

RE: Great News Coffee Blood Pressure
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Good for you!!!! I am so happy to hear that you found something that is helping you! All of life is about learning. Sometimes we have to let go of something before we can grasp the gift.

Blessings!

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Kym, thank you, you have no idea. I was at my wits end. why don't they tell you this stuff? my MD is, oh it's not working, here take more meds. I have been battling her for over a year. I'm sure she thinks i'm a PITA, what ever. Thank you

Posted Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Marge keep in mind what your mainstream MD is trained to do... treat you AFTER you are sick. They are NOT trained to prevent illness. They are trained in pharmaceuticals, surgery, etc... though I am entirely grateful for this as when I broke my ankles, but for day to day living I try to maintain my health by eating.

I saw something on Facebook the other day that quoted something to the effect of:

People are fed by the food industry - which pays no attention to health - and are treated by the health industry - which pays no attention to food.

An old partner of mine used to watch me get wound up tight from the actions of others and finally one day he told me, Kym you need to be an actor not a reactor. After thinking about that for a while I realized the truth. I am responsible for my knowledge and health, life, etc... so I choose to act - eat healthy, be kind, be present and appreciate today.

I am happy you have found an answer and have been given this gift of awareness! Good for you!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

marge wrote:

I'm in my 50's, petite, 114 lbs., a hard core bicylist, vegan since 2010,in 2011 developed blood pressure that is out of this world. At my worst 168/100. So scary.

I have such a similar story to you. I am also 114, 5'4", practice ashtanga yoga 6 times a week, in my 40's, and had CRAZY high blood pressure after having children in my 30's. I went vegan and cut out all caffeine in 2009 to bring my blood pressure down without meds. I just didn't want to take meds for the rest of my life. Now I can keep my BP in the borderline range. I feel so empowered to do it by myself without the medical establishment or the drug companies!

Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Great work, ladies.

The secretary at my company also managed to get her blood pressure down by giving up coffee. She was an ovo-lacto-pescatarian though. I'm sure that if she'd gone 100% plant-based as well as the coffee thing she would've been able to get off meds completely.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I'm kinda surprised that cutting coffee was so surprising as a way to reduce blood pressure. It's a stimulant and was one of the first things to go when hubby's bp was in question. Not that we were ever big coffee drinkers but the occasional coffee socially (at someone's home or when we have guests or going out for coffee at a cafe) was not uncommon.

Years ago, the doctor told my dad he needed to lose weight and asked about his eating habits. Back then, my dad would have coffee with cream/milk and sugar and a cigarette for breakfast. Doctor told him to cut the cream and sugar - dad lost about 15 lbs in a matter of weeks just by cutting that (since he drank somewhere in the area of 4 cups or so per day). And, about 18 years ago, he quit smoking as well and doesn't drink coffee most of the time now (he'll get water instead of coffee at restaurants, for example).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 157 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org