21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: New - nervous...
Created on: 01/16/13 10:47 PM Views: 1221 Replies: 10
New - nervous...
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Hi Everyone!
I am brand new in the Vegan department. Though having fed my family vegetarian for years when my children were younger, It was always at least dairy inclusive. My family managed to give up sugar, for about three years now. The focus being based off of low carb articles and mainly supposedly lean meat and steamed veggies. Being the strictest about my diet in the family (mom hereWink I started eventually having a lot of symptoms ranging from fibromyalgia to migraines and extensive unexplained bruising under my skin.
Finally, recently I had an age related issue with one if my eyes! This though in my early forties!
When doing research on the vegan diet I realized the animal proteins I was consuming might be the problem. I quit them all and haven't cheated at all for about three weeks.
My teenage son has lost ten lbs almost overnight, and is excited to continue eating this way.
I have not had a migraine at all since going off the meat and dairy. Many things have actually cleared up or diminished pain wise.

My biggest fear is that I will gain weight. I feel lighter within myself, but at the same time a little like maybe I have gained a few lbs. (my scale needs batteries) Practically starving on just lean chicken, nuts, seeds and vegetables kept me sort of stable weight wise though not thin.
Eating so much food suddenly ( no sugar, almost no fat and little refined grain) I feel nervous like I am going to gain weight doing this. It's only been three weeks so I am waiting to see what happens. I am constantly hungry now (new feeling for me) and have much better focus, energy and clarity of senses.
How afraid should I be of putting on lbs? Rice, potatoes and starch have been forbidden for me for so long!
I have been so tired, sick and miserable that I get injured easily and feel I need to build up to regular exercise.
All of my bloodwork is currently within acceptable limits according to my dr...

I know this is a lot of info but I want to ask if anyone else is having trouble eating more and fearing weight gain. I was hardly eating before and not losing weight.
TIA for reading my sagaWink and for any thoughts you may have!

RE: New - nervous...
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 7:00 AM

batveggie wrote:

Hi Everyone!
I am brand new in the Vegan department. Though having fed my family vegetarian for years when my children were younger, It was always at least dairy inclusive. My family managed to give up sugar, for about three years now. The focus being based off of low carb articles and mainly supposedly lean meat and steamed veggies. Being the strictest about my diet in the family (mom hereWink I started eventually having a lot of symptoms ranging from fibromyalgia to migraines and extensive unexplained bruising under my skin.
Finally, recently I had an age related issue with one if my eyes! This though in my early forties!
When doing research on the vegan diet I realized the animal proteins I was consuming might be the problem. I quit them all and haven't cheated at all for about three weeks.
My teenage son has lost ten lbs almost overnight, and is excited to continue eating this way.
I have not had a migraine at all since going off the meat and dairy. Many things have actually cleared up or diminished pain wise.

My biggest fear is that I will gain weight. I feel lighter within myself, but at the same time a little like maybe I have gained a few lbs. (my scale needs batteries) Practically starving on just lean chicken, nuts, seeds and vegetables kept me sort of stable weight wise though not thin.
Eating so much food suddenly ( no sugar, almost no fat and little refined grain) I feel nervous like I am going to gain weight doing this. It's only been three weeks so I am waiting to see what happens. I am constantly hungry now (new feeling for me) and have much better focus, energy and clarity of senses.
How afraid should I be of putting on lbs? Rice, potatoes and starch have been forbidden for me for so long!
I have been so tired, sick and miserable that I get injured easily and feel I need to build up to regular exercise.
All of my bloodwork is currently within acceptable limits according to my dr...

I know this is a lot of info but I want to ask if anyone else is having trouble eating more and fearing weight gain. I was hardly eating before and not losing weight.
TIA for reading my sagaWink and for any thoughts you may have!

Hi batveggie!

I'm glad you presented this question because it is not uncommon for there to be a weight hold or even gain, BUT we must keep in mind that it can be due to a lot of things. When I first gave up oil and signed of on the dairy altogether, my weight went UP in the first month even though I knew I wasn't getting fatter - so I figured it might have something to do with the increased water-holding fiber in my digestive tract and that it would all sort itself out. Which it did! This may be what is happening to you.

PLUS - especially from the history you share - we are, even if we have convinced ourselves consiously otherwise, holding onto vestiges of carbophobia.

To address the very question you present, I put together an article that you may find helpful:

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Again, I'm proud of you for coming forward with your question!

Thinking of you,
Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Thank you for the kind response and awesome information! I read the article and after looking at your blueprint, I think I am eating just the right amounts of everythingSmile It occured to me previously to avoid the corn tortillas, but now I see the cornophobic aspect! Your hummus recipe as a mayo replacement looks fantasticSmile
Thanks again!
BTW when you say whole grain bread, what is the criteria for choosing sandwhich bread. I am confused by the labeling and am unsure what to purchase...

Terri

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

the first ingredient should be "whole" whatever - wheat, rye, spelt, etc. If it says "enriched" or "unbleached" flour first, odds are that it's not all whole grain.

That's one reason we got a grain mill - we can get our own wheat berries (or rye, buckwheat, etc) and grind it ourselves as we use it. We know for sure that it is ALL whole <whatever> because that's what we put into it. We didn't bleach, strip, add/subtract anything.

For example, the Arnold 100% Whole Wheat bread (a commercially available grocery store product) lists:
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, SUGAR, WHEAT GLUTEN, YEAST, RAISIN JUICE CONCENTRATE, WHEAT BRAN, MOLASSES, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, MONOGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (PRESERVATIVE), CALCIUM SULFATE, DATEM, GRAIN VINEGAR, CITRIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, WHEY, NONFAT MILK

Compare to their white bread:
UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, SUGAR, YEAST, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, MONOGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (PRESERVATIVE), CALCIUM SULFATE, GRAIN VINEGAR, CITRIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, DATEM, WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEY, SOY FLOUR, NONFAT MILK

(obviously, the nonfat milk and whey make it non-vegan, but it's a good example since it's from the same company to keep things on a level playing field)
Note that the former list shows Whole Wheat Flour as the first ingredient, while the latter has unbleached enriched wheat flour first. All other things aside, one is whole grain and one is not.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

batveggie wrote:

Thank you for the kind response and awesome information! I read the article and after looking at your blueprint, I think I am eating just the right amounts of everythingSmile It occured to me previously to avoid the corn tortillas, but now I see the cornophobic aspect! Your hummus recipe as a mayo replacement looks fantasticSmile
Thanks again!
BTW when you say whole grain bread, what is the criteria for choosing sandwhich bread. I am confused by the labeling and am unsure what to purchase...

Terri

Terri,

I'm glad it is helpful and thanks also to DebR for such a thorough response!

I too look for anything added like fats and oils. Sprouted Food for Life and Alvarado and Trader Joes are pretty good bets. There a Demi Panache I get at Trader Joes' that ONLY has whole wheat flour, yeast, water, and salt! I even made a video about it - let me know if you'd like me to link you.

Glad you like the Plant-Based Blueprint! It sounds like you have the complete version (cornophobia, indeed! :lolSmile so excellent!

Lani

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

There a Demi Panache I get at Trader Joes' that ONLY has whole wheat flour, yeast, water, and salt!
Lani

That sounds about like our homemade stuff - we make flour tortillas, bagels, and pizza dough that look pretty much like that - except the tortillas use just a pinch of baking powder (or is it baking soda? one or the other...) instead of yeast - they don't rise but they do stay a little more pliable for doing wraps. And, we grind the flour right before we use it so it's nice and fresh and we know for sure it's whole wheat. Totally blows away friends to know that the biscuits they're having with the veggie soup were wheatberries, not sitting in a flour sack, an hour or so ago.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thanks everyone who took the time to respondSmile The information is super helpful!Wink Pre-made bread is on my list now. I had an ok type (first ingredient whole wheat and then a mix of whole grains second in the list of ingredients) in the drawer from costco - but it has whey and milk in it. I don't eat it, but one of my kids does so I bought it for her. I will be replacing it with a vegan choice.
Now, to find markets near me.
Yes, Lani I have the whole blueprint downloaded and I love LOVE it. So useful and clear. The way you describe portions and cooking gives me a very good intuitive picture of how to apply it.
Thank you so much.
(From my whole family)
Terri

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

batveggie wrote:

Thanks everyone who took the time to respondSmile The information is super helpful!Wink Pre-made bread is on my list now. I had an ok type (first ingredient whole wheat and then a mix of whole grains second in the list of ingredients) in the drawer from costco - but it has whey and milk in it. I don't eat it, but one of my kids does so I bought it for her. I will be replacing it with a vegan choice.
Now, to find markets near me.
Yes, Lani I have the whole blueprint downloaded and I love LOVE it. So useful and clear. The way you describe portions and cooking gives me a very good intuitive picture of how to apply it.
Thank you so much.
(From my whole family)
Terri

Very cool Terri. You go!

Thanks,
Lani

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Welcome! Glad you've come over to the vegan side and seen what it can do for your health! Use what you've done as an example to others. That is the only way I can see to "convert" those around me who are sick and in chronic pain. Keep up the great work!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Thank you! It's just awesome and I am glad I found such great support along the way.
Thx so much!!!
Terri

Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

batveggie wrote:

Thank you! It's just awesome and I am glad I found such great support along the way.
Thx so much!!!
Terri

The support here is great Smile Especially with such a lifestyle change that isn't readily taken up by those around you.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 287 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org