21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Paying Knowledge Forward
Created on: 03/08/13 01:38 PM Views: 906 Replies: 3
Paying Knowledge Forward
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Inspirational moment...

Those of us here have been blessed with this information to better ourselves, humanity, and the planet. I don't know about you, but I want everyone to know how awesome this lifestyle is! I could be "preachy" with my parents for they have health problems that need attention but others are going to be turned off by this. However, we can still spread the knowledge with patience and observation. One of my friends at work was a vegetarian for years and when I talked to her about doing the Kick Start, she jumped on board because she was just waiting for this little push to go fully vegan. I've had two other coworkers approach me: one wants to get his health back in line so he's doing mostly plant-based (he still wants to keep fish for now) and the other saw Forks Over Knives and wants to do vegan for 12 weeks. I post on my FaceBook page all the yummy recipes I make and have another friend I've sent information to when she commented on how great I was eating.

We can do so much by leading with example without outwardly telling everyone we know that they should turn vegan too. My personal goal was to enlighten at least one person towards this lifestyle and now I have multiple!

Anyone else have success and/or tips on how we can pay it forward?

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

RE: Paying Knowledge Forward
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Indeed! Preaching on both sides (vegan vs meat and vice versa) is such a drag! On becoming vegetarian, all meat eaters were so concerned what was going into my mouth. Then the realization that this way of eating could be beneficial, and the holier than thou vegans appeared! To keep my sanity, if the opportunity arises, I give information once. There is that teachable moment, and truly, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

We are all here because something "clicked" at the right time.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I do the same thing also.I'll quietly tell someone I'm on a plant-based diet if we're talking about food and if they ask - I go into detail. Sometimes people ask how I've lost weight and I tell them. So much better than preaching. My daughter, who's 22 years old, wanted to lose a few pounds and she ate vegan for a week. Her boyfriend is very accepting when he comes to our house and we try to accommodate him as well. It's a good thing - as Martha would say.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Just recently I've had 2 opportunities to "pay the knowledge forward". A speech therapist comes to our house once a week to work with my grandson. She saw some of my vegan literature and DVD's and asked me about it. I told her about PCRM and gave her some literature I have about it. Then just a couple of days later, my daughter's best friend came over. She was upset because her sister decided to "go vegan" and passed out after just a few days of it. Apparetly rather than simply cutting
out all animal based foods, she'd cut out ALL FOOD! I loaned her some books and DVD's I have and gave her a box of Rip Esselstyn's cereal I hadn't opened yet.

Jennifer

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 342 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org