21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: tofu marinate?
Created on: 01/18/13 11:27 AM Views: 1225 Replies: 9
tofu marinate?
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Hi everyone

does someone have any suggestions for marinating tofu to use in a stir fry? I would like to combine tofu with onion, peppers and mushrooms and then mix together with quinoa.
Also last time I cooked tofu it had a gritty texture and slightly bitter flavour.. did I do something wrong? Should I be doing something to "prep" the tofu?

Thanks!

RE: tofu marinate?
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

So you think you soaked the tofu in something that was bitter? Or could it have been the other ingredients? For example, if you do not rinse quinoa, it can have a bitter taste to it.

A good trick with tofu is the following:
FREEZE - THAW - SQUEEZE

Freeze your tofu, just as you bought it in the refrigerated pack, no need to unpack. Remove from the freezer at least 8 hours before you want to prepare it, put it in the refrigerator to thaw (leave it on the counter if you need it sooner rather than later). Once thawed, cut it out of the package and squeeze it like a sponge (a very cold sponge!).

This process gets far more water out of the tofu than squeezing it without freezing it. I'm not sure of the science behind the magic, but I like it!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Hi Beatrice! Check out the tofu marinade at this link.. the recipe comes from a vegan cookbook author named Bryanna Clark Grogan, who has lots of interesting and tasty ideas for what to do with tofu. Best Wishes!

http://cookingforcarnivores.wordpress.com/2008/01/25/bryannas-breast-of-tofu/

Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

HI,
I do the same as Susan. I have noticed a big difference between brands. I always buy organic.

Nosoya is good but one of my local brands is much better.. Woodstock Farms. I am judging that because i can squeeze it a lot more without it falling apart.

They do make some blocks or cubes of tofu that are already seasoned. I don't use them, but i had them at a resturant once. THey were nice and firm too.

Personally I don't think tofu tastes like anything. I usually freeze it, squeeze it.. then cut it up into fork size chunks, fry it in a non-stick to get a little browning.. then take it out of the pan, add veggies w/sauce, cook till veggies are done, then add the tofu back in. The only thing i taste is the sauce and veggies. Tofu is very bland.

cch

Edited 01/18/13 2:05 PM
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Yes, raw and/or unseasoned tofu tastes bitter to me. It tastes wonderful however in a Chinese takeaway.

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Freeze your tofu, just as you bought it in the refrigerated pack
[quote]
Whenever I buy tofu in the UK, it's just off a shelf, not in the refrigerated section - even in health food stores....is there a difference?

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

So it's in the shelf stable pack? Hmmm, I honestly do not know what happens when you freeze that type. Does anyone have any experience freezing the tofu that comes in the tetra pack?

http://www.vegancookingwithlove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/silken-firmjpg.jpg

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM

ok.. without trying different types of tofu.. here is what i found... what? tofu marinating instructions and recipes.

I liked this one site because 1) it is similar to all the others where as it says the tofu needs to be squeezed and dry as possible before marinating 2) it gives detailed instructions on how to dry fry it.- no oil- 3) it gives not one but two really good looking easy recipes for marinate.

http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

and a recipe link from that page..
http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/Asparagus_Tofu_Stir-Fry_Recipe#

i even pinned them to my pinterest board so i can find them easy and share with others. love pinterest for saving pictures and recipes!
http://pinterest.com/clbger/vegan-recipes/

Edited 01/19/13 9:16 AM
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Thanks for the recipes!

Claremus, my tofu comes in a plastic wrap inside a cardboard box and is in the fridge section. At another store it comes packaged exactly the same way but on the shelf. It freezes and thaws just fine. I haven't frozen any in the tetra pack and in my experience here that is only imported from Japan (ie silken tofu) and not easy to find.

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Here's my recipe for baked tofu - I do not freeze it but let it drain about a half hour with a small weight on top. It calls for 1 Tbs. of oil but you can eliminate that if you spray the wire cooking rack with a cooking spray before baking the tofu to prevent sticking.

Simple Baked Tofu

Ingredients:
   •     1 14-16 oz. block firm or extra-firm tofu (water-packed)
   •     3 T lite soy sauce or tamari (contains wheat – use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos if wheat sensitive)
   •     3 T balsamic vinegar
   •     1 T garlic powder
   •     1 T ground ginger
   •     ¼ tsp. pepper (white or black, or both)
   •     1 T olive oil

Directions:

Drain tofu on slanted cutting board with a light weight on top for 20 – 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into rectangles about 1 1/2 in. by 3/4 in. by 1/2 in. thick (I get 32 out of a one pound block). Mix the other ingredients and pour over the tofu in a mixing bowl. You can either let the tofu marinate for 30 minutes or bake it right away. The best way to mix it up is to gently toss between 2 bowls until evenly covered. If you have a wire cooling rack, lay out the tofu on the rack with a tray underneath to catch the excess liquid. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then remove the tray and put the rack back in for another 15 - 20 minutes or until it starts to get golden brown edges.

This will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of days, and you can throw them in stir frys or salads or whatever. When they are warm, the flavor comes out better, but even cold, they are quite tasty. And of course, experiment with seasonings.

Serves: 2-4

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 425 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org