21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: is any dark chocolate vegan? (for baking!)
Created on: 04/10/14 11:18 PM Views: 781 Replies: 3
is any dark chocolate vegan? (for baking!)
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM

my mom is baking some cookies for the kids she works (small group: 5 kids with autism.) they are all on a caseine-free diet, i think that means they are not vegan persay...but they do not have dairy. my mom was thinking to make chocolate chip cookies for them, kind of like a fun Easter thing. She asked me if I know any chocolate without the dairy, I was like...I have no idea! Well, everytime I look at the usual chocolate, dairy is always there, even in the dark chocolate.

Any idea on what to use for replacing milk chocolate? or if Hershey / Nestle makes any kind of non-dairy chocolate pieces?

Thanks =)

RE: is any dark chocolate vegan? (for baking!)
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 at 8:33 AM

kittens09 wrote:

my mom is baking some cookies for the kids she works (small group: 5 kids with autism.) they are all on a caseine-free diet, i think that means they are not vegan persay...but they do not have dairy. my mom was thinking to make chocolate chip cookies for them, kind of like a fun Easter thing. She asked me if I know any chocolate without the dairy, I was like...I have no idea! Well, everytime I look at the usual chocolate, dairy is always there, even in the dark chocolate.

Any idea on what to use for replacing milk chocolate? or if Hershey / Nestle makes any kind of non-dairy chocolate pieces?

Thanks =)

Enjoy Life makes vegan, gluten free chocolate chips - the semi-sweet baking kind. I find them in the regular grocery store over in the gluten free section. They are pricey but for occasional use I don't mind paying the extra.

Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking chips don't say they're vegan but that don't contain milk fat or any other milk product on the label. They are made in the same facility as the ones that contain milk fat so if cross contamination is a potential issue, they might not be an option.

The other thing, too, is that most cookie recipes use butter. Make sure you use a vegan margarine as a substitute and read the label carefully.

--DebR

Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM

https://www.guittard.com/our-chocolate/detail/extra-dark-chocolate-chips

These are sold at local grocery stores, HEB & Sprouts, and are delicious!

Posted Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM

thanks you guys! I bet the kids will love them. I did find the Enjoy Life kind! Even at Safeway they are selling some vegan friendly / vegetarian friendly things and it's nice to see. plus it saves me money haha, whole foods is soo expensive. Thanks Deb for the reminder on the butter! We got Smart Balance light, it's strange that just the 'light' kind is vegan, the other has whey i believe.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 216 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Tomh66

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org