21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Insulin needs for Type1 diabetic
Created on: 01/18/13 12:59 PM Views: 626 Replies: 2
Insulin needs for Type1 diabetic
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Are there any other type 1 diabetics out there who would like to share their information about how much insulin they generally take for these meals.. and whether their blood sugar levels have been 'good'?

I need a little inspiration for my T1 husband, who has not yet found a way to keep his bs within a good range.

RE: Insulin needs for Type1 diabetic
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

his meter is his friend - track the bs, the dosage, and how much of what he had (lots of rice, not much rice, lots of beans, etc) so that you can determine what works for him. There are SO many variables - each person reacts differently to different foods/combinations. For instance, there are t1 and t2 diabetics here that just have to have their coffee in the morning (black or with a bit of plant milk/creamer). I know (by testing) that caffeine in that high a dose (coffee/black tea/green tea) will cause my glucose readings to spike and drop kind of randomly - and something like an espresso will definitely cause a spike (my best unscientific guess is that the caffeine causes a bit of adrenalin rush which causes the liver to release glucose to deal with the perceived fight/flight needs related the adrenalin signal). Smaller amounts (like a square of dark chocolate) don't have the same effect. Go figure.

Also keep in mind that if his glucose readings have been all out of whack for a while, it'll take some time and care to get them back into a better range. For example, I know that if I do have a cup of coffee, odds are good that I'll be getting 'off' readings for 2 to 3 days before things settle back down. And that's just a short term thing. If they've been unstable for weeks/months/years it's going to take time to get things sorted, even with a plant based eating plan.

--DebR

RE: Insulin needs for Type1 diabetic
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Thank You DebR!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 108 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org