21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: I need some advice on weight loss!
Created on: 10/11/12 04:40 AM Views: 1251 Replies: 6
I need some advice on weight loss!
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'd like to thank the people behind the Kickstart. It's taught me so much about veganism and cooking and it's given me so many ideas to work with. Thanks a lot for this treasure of recipes and support.
Now to my question. I started a little later than the Kickstart was officially planned, because I found out about it a few days before it started, and I didn't have enough time to prepare. Right now I'm in the middle of my third week. I'm doing this mainly to lose weight, but also, as I said, to learn how to cook and what to cook, something I had a lot of difficulty with before. So far it's going very well. I love the recipes, find most of them very tasty and easy to make.
The weight is also coming off at a rate of 2 kilos (4,5 pounds) per week, just over 4 kilos so far. This is great, of course, but I know it's not going to stay that way. As I progress, it will get harder to lose weight, and I'll have to make more effort. My question is, what is the best way, within this vegan diet, to continue to lose weight? Is it a matter of eliminating all sugars (does maple syrup count?) or carbs, cutting portions, cutting snacks or none of the above? I'm definitely going to continue with this vegan diet and I feel like the Kickstart is a solid foundation for my vegan future, but I'd like to know what the best way forward is when it comes to weight loss through veganism.

Thanks! Kind regards,
Jo.

RE: I need some advice on weight loss!
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Move toward whole, unprocessed foods. Get rid of any added processed oils. Cutting back on sugar is a good idea, but your food should be palatable.

There are many vegan convenience foods that are really no better for you than their SAD counterparts. Full of salt, sugar and oil, they may be vegan but they're not healthy and not weight loss friendly.

I like to focus on my health and let the weight loss just be a bonus.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 6:12 AM

You are correct that losing that much every week is not sustainable. But that's okay. You want to lose at a rate that reflects permanent, healthy weight loss. This could mean a week or two with no weight loss at all. But you are looking for a trend over a long period of time.

If you start to plateau for a while having not yet reached a healthy weight, then you may need to revaluate food choices that could be causing problems (such as mentioned above).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Thanks very much for your replies!
What, then, would and wouldn't you consider processed foods? I've read that technically, food that has been altered in some way by human hands is considered processed, but I'm assuming that this doesn't mean all processed foods are bad for you. For example, things like soy yoghurt or soy milk, whole wheat tortillas, or frozen fruit are processed, but are those foods I shouldn't be eating if I'm stuck with my weight loss, simply because some of them have additives? If those aren't what you mean by processed foods, could you give me examples of things I should watch out for?

Forgive me if my questions are daft, I'm just looking to be educated. Thanks,
Jo.

Posted Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM

The foods you listed are processed, but I don't think it's what most of us think of when we talk about processed foods. Frozen dinners, even if vegan, I would consider processed foods. Fake meats would be another example. I do eat SOME processed foods. Canned tomatoes - ingredients are tomatoes and tomato juice. There are a couple canned soups I eat, minimal ingredients and all recognized as real food, not preservatives, flavors or colors. When eating grains eat whole grains, in other words brown rice rather than white, whole wheat pasta rather than white. The less bread and flour products you use, likely the faster you are going to lose weight. I'm sure others will chime in on their definition of "processed foods."

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I highly recommend two of Jeff Novick's DVDs: Lighten Up and Calorie Density. They explain very clearly how to decrease the number of calories you consume while keeping up the amount of food you eat so that you stay satisfied. They're available at Vegsource and Amazon.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

My husband has lost 26 lbs this year by our going vegan. I didn't lose any weight by just going vegan, but when I switched to a whole-foods lifestyle, I've lost 10 lbs. I appreciate the info on the DVDs as I think we'll need those in the near future.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 410 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kittens09

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org