21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Book Club
Created on: 02/20/14 07:47 AM Views: 428 Replies: 4
Book Club
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I'm just finishing up the 21-Day Kickstart, and I am totally committed to eating vegan until the day I die. It's been super easy for me because I've always loved veggies and beans. I am hosting a book club group for dinner in a couple months and would like to serve a "wow" main course to show my friends how delicious 'vegan' can be. Any suggestions?

RE: Book Club
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM

http://forealslife.com/blog/vegan-roasted-red-pepper-alfredo

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Have you seen Neva Brackett's Seven Secrets Cookbook? It offers a delicious vegan Holiday Nut Loaf. This "un-meatloaf" is a savory version of a familiar comfort food. The rich flavors of this special occasion main dish are a real surprise! Please click this link to view the recipe: http://www.beloitsdaconnect.com/thanksgiving-vegetarian-meatloaf-holiday-nut-loaf/

This link has the Seven Secrets recipe for Simple Gravy and a modified Holiday Nut Loaf recipe. http://www.bendadventist.org/article/85/community/life-groups/recipe-corner/archive-holiday-nut-loaf-and-simple-gravy

email
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

How about lasagne? Last April my daughter got married and had her reception catered with a lasagne dinner. Some of the guests (me included) were vegan and/or gluten or lactose intolerant and couldn't eat the regular lasagne. I made a lasagne using a recipe I found in Dr. Neal Barnard's book "Food for Life". The only change I made in the recipe was using gluten free noodles. The recipe is on pages 262 & 263 of the book. Tofu is used in place of meat and cheese. Use nutritional yeast in place of grated parmesan cheese. Serve with a big mixed green salad and whole grain bread.

My daughter who is decidedly NOT vegan has asked me to make both this recipe and black bean chili because she loves them despite their being vegan! After the wedding one of the guests for whom I'd made this dish asked if there was any of the lasagne left that she could have because she liked it so much.

Jen

PS For dessert how about a vegan "ice cream" from So Delicious brand? They come in a wide variety of flavors and are fantastic. I get it at Whole Foods grocery store.

Edited 02/20/14 11:33 AM
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Thank you, guys! I will check out all of these recipes. The lasagna especially sounds wonderful...especially knowing that 'lay' people were asking for seconds. Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 255 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org