21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Are vegans taking over the world?
Created on: 02/06/12 02:14 PM Views: 2289 Replies: 8
Are vegans taking over the world?
Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I was at a little Super Bowl party last night, about 20ish people, and was amazed to meet two other vegans! One who had just done her first 30 days, and another who eats all raw...her skin looked amazing, by the way.

I was just so happy to see the changes happening one person at a time. And I live in Texas, not California!

RE: Are vegans taking over the world?
Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Great story!!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We went to a super bowl party as well - our vegan queso was a hit as usual (we did a dips and dippers assortment as our contribution to the festivities: homemade guacamole, queso dip, and roasted red pepper hummus, alongside baby carrots, celery sticks, bell pepper strips, corn tortilla chips, and pita crisps). The 'traditional' fare at this party is chili dogs and other such items. But, the hostess' daughter is vegetarian now so there was a nice veggie chili - I had that, plus a nice tossed salad, gucamole, queso, hummus, veggies...)
--Deb R

Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Football dork confession: Every year I make what I have dubbed the traditional Super Salad Bowl for the big game. It's the largest salad ever created, complete with lettuce, basil, cilantro, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomato, red peppers, and of course, nutritional yeast flakes. Then I plop in front of the game, place the salad trough in my lap, and eat every last bite over the course of four quarters. I love football!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

LOL I was really happy to see a great salad this year (from the hostess I think) - mixed field greens (no iceberg!), cukes, grape tomatoes, dried cranberries and slivered almonds on the side, hmm I know there were other things in there...oh shreds of carrot, hmm other stuff too.

What I love is seeing the traditional football party folks going after the not-cheese queso! And not even knowing that it's not-cheese, unless they know we brought it... We did have some leftover (we made a HUGE batch) so that's going to be mixed with some steamed broccoli and cauliflower for dinner one night soon. Tonight is a little break from the "Super Bowl food" - spaghetti squash with tomato pesto sauce and white beans.

Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Yes - I think it is time to get out of the closet and show the world my Super Salad Bowl! No need to hide healthy habits, no matter the occasion!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

i have a new favorite...
lettuce cut somewhat small.. and not a lot..
shredded carrots, diced red pepper, tiny brocolli tops, rasins, walnuts, and grape tomatoes...
then i do a nice balsamic vinegar..
yum.
never liked rasins before.. now they taste sweet.

Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM

deb.. what is your version of the queso recipe you like so much?

Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

cch22 wrote:

deb.. what is your version of the queso recipe you like so much?

It's the not-cheese sauce (cashew butter based, so it's not exactly very low fat, but it's not a lot of cashew butter, I think it's 1/4 cup for the whole batch which is enough to make a lb of mac & cheese) plus either homemade salsa (bell peppers, onions, diced tomato, spices) or a favorite commercial salsa mixed in.

Tonight, it's going over steamed broccoli, cauliflower and cooked chickpeas.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 79 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org