21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] WELCOME Kickstarters!
Created on: 03/27/12 04:15 PM Views: 21071 Replies: 77
RE: WELCOME Kickstarters!
Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Hi, I'm not too anxious about losing meat, chicken or fish; I'm clear about the issue with Dairy; I hate the idea of giving up eggs, but my *real* issue is bread. Why is whole wheat not allowable? Aren't there vegan breads out there? My husband likes Rye, so that's ok for him, but pumpernickel is actually hard to find.

I have a bread machine, so I could actually make bread if there were recipes available.

It's the one thing I'm just not sure I can stick with.

Robin

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hi everyone!!!
So glad to be back!! Looking forward to new recipes..

Take Care
Cheers
vegankitty

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Robnbrwn wrote:

Hi, I'm not too anxious about losing meat, chicken or fish; I'm clear about the issue with Dairy; I hate the idea of giving up eggs, but my *real* issue is bread. Why is whole wheat not allowable? Aren't there vegan breads out there? My husband likes Rye, so that's ok for him, but pumpernickel is actually hard to find.

I have a bread machine, so I could actually make bread if there were recipes available.

It's the one thing I'm just not sure I can stick with.

Robin

Where does it say *real* whole wheat bread is "not allowed"? Most commercial breads, even the ones that say 'whole wheat' really aren't, plus they have all sorts of added things (fats, sugars, preservatives, etc). I know there are some folks here who prefer sprouted grain breads for various reasons.

One thing we found was that when we went to ONLY bread we made at home (we grind our own wheat so we know that it is 100% including the bran and everything), we use a lot less bread. It's not a default anymore - if we want bread (or bagels or biscuits or tortillas or pizza), we choose it and make it fresh for a specific meal. And, honestly, we really don't miss sandwich slices that much. Fortunately, we don't have to make 'school lunches' or anything because I just bring leftovers to reheat here at work and son (age 13) is homeschooled so he eats whatever we've got on hand.

Humorous bread-anecdote: we were on vacation two years ago, well after we started making our own whole wheat bread products. The hotel we stayed at had breakfast and lunch buffets available. We went down for breakfast one day just to see what the alternatives to what we had with us were. They had some nice fruit and oatmeal and other stuff, so we headed for the buffet. Son looked at where they had two rows of bread laid out next to the toaster. One was obviously white bread; the other was vaguely beige. He asked me what the difference was - what was the beige stuff? I had to grin a bit when I explained that that was called "wheat" bread as opposed to the "white" bread next to it. He said it didn't look at all like "wheat bread" it was just beige white bread.

[Edit: Just FYI, I went and checked the new menus and 8 of the 21 days have some form of whole grain bread, pita, rolls, etc. The key is to find actual whole grain bread, rolls, pita not the ones that are beige variants of white bread. The first ingredient should be whole wheat or other grain. Most bread flour used commercially is wheat but it's usually bleached/bromated and all the nutrients stripped out - and maybe some things added back in again afterward to fortify it. Many also contain things like HFCS, dough conditioners - no idea what those are made from - and other preservatives and colorings and such.]

--Deb R

Edited 03/30/12 3:21 PM
Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Hello! I am excited. Just to make sure I know how to do this I bought the book about a month ago and have been trying this on my own using the book's menus. Previously I had been on a string of various low carb diets. I just can't do low carb. I am a carb eater and have never been big on meat. Its been a learning experience. I gained weight at first taking literally what the book said that I could eat all the bread I wanted and pancakes for breakfast. I stopped that and saw my first weight loss after 3 weeks. The issue I have is energy level. Its low and I struggle to exercise. I do but have to force myself because I have low energy. what might I be doing wrong? Question

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

re: Bread

I'm letting my husband (the current homemaker in our family) do most of the legwork on this. He found in the Kickstart book something that said only Pumpernickel or Rye. If we can use genuine Whole Grain breads, then I'm good.

Although, I would still love to find *any* bread machine recipes for whole grain bread. If you've got them, could you share?

Thanks!

Robin

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

we don't have a bread machine at all - hubby (the at home person) makes it all by hand, from scratch, right from grinding the wheat (or other grains, like buckwheat for pancakes) in the grain mill to the final product.

The kickstart isn't exactly "low carb" - it's more about WHOLE foods - if you're having grains, they're whole grains. If you've always had low energy that's different than having low energy while you're transitioning to vegan eating. Make sure you're getting enough WATER and enough protein (beans, legumes, whole foods, etc). If you've always had low energy, odds are good that there's something else going on (for example, hypothyroid).

--Deb R

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Rye and pumpernickel is recommended for people with blood sugar issues (diabetes). For some reason, rye breads do not spike blood sugar as much as wheat.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 03/30/12 4:57 PM
Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hi everyone -

Greetings to those of you I know (lots of familiar names - just waiting for Theodore to show up) and those I am looking forward to getting to know over the next 3 weeks and beyond.

Christine

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Hello!

This is my first time doing this program. I had read the book last year but chickened out Embarassed But my health has gotten worse and my weight not any better. I really think this is the best way to go, though this will be a huge change for me. I already am hitting the gym 3x a week on the treadmill. I am used to eating out a lot, which is not good! I look forward to learning new ways to eat and to break some bad habits!

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I am looking forward to this Vegan adventure. My brother has been Vegan for over 15 years and he tried to get me to eat healthy once, years ago, but I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up living off vegan burritos and pasta...and gained 10 lbs! Oops. This time, I feel much more knowledgable about nutrition and I have an actual REASON to succeed. I've been struggling to lose 20 lbs for over 4 years. I have tried EVERY diet and I exercise 5 days per week (cardio and weight lifting). Still...not a pound lost. I recently found out I have really high cholesterol and am on the verge of Type 2 Diabetes. Yep...I'd call that a reason to get HEALTHY! I started incorporating Vegan cooking into my diet last week and revamping my kitchen. So far I've lost 2 pounds and 1% body fat! GO ME! Talk about an incentive to keep going!

Nutrition: Makes a lot of sense, but not a lot of dollars!

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I'm looking forward to being able to talk to other people who are choosing to eat healthy! None of my friends or family are vegan, and they think I'm crazy for giving up meat, fish and dairy.
I can't wait to see how my blood levels change!

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Ellalou wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic about starting this program. I like the idea of a kickstart but am concerned about not eating meat for 3 weeks. My husband has been vegan before but I brought him back to the carnivore life. He's ready to return to a vegan lifestyle for solid health reasons as well as environmental issues, etc. Me? I want to feel better, lose weight and be healthier. This seems to be a good plan but I am concerned about my food allergies and intolerances.

I'm severely allergic to eggs---I'd die if I ate one or any food cross-contaminated with eggs; naturally another positive reason for a true vegan diet. But, red peppers make me sick as does yogurt and a few other foods. Why are red peppers predominant in many of the recipes? Are they necessary? What do they bring to the recipe?

Thanks!

In some recipes, they're for color (like the roasted pepper hummus recipe) - feel free to leave it out or sub for something else (try spinach in place of peppers in hummus for example or use finely grated carrot if you like the color better than green or just leave it all out and have beige hummus). In other recipes, they're there because of the color, texture, flavor, and nutrient content. But again, there are lots of other ways to get those things.

Yogurt (standard dairy yogurt) is not vegan anyhow so no worries there - it's not in the kickstart. Do you react to the live cultures or is it dairy? If it's dairy, then try some of the non-dairy/vegan yogurts (soy, coconut, rice, etc) If it's the live cultures, then yeah, that's out.

Again, if it's an allergy, by all means leave that thing out - and pop in to ask for specific ways to substitute for it. There are folks here who have all sorts of health issues - celiac, soy allergies, diabetes, other allergies, etc. so we can certainly figure out options.

--Deb R

Deb, thanks for the encouragement and explanations about the red peppers. Yes, it is the culture I'm allergic to in the yogurt so that's out for me. Do you know of some good substitutions for wheat? I use spelt flour and oat flour for muffins, try buy rice pasta and limit my bread intake. Any other ideas? It's not the gluten but the wheat itself that is my issue. I noticed that some pasta's do contain eggs too.

Bugsmom wrote:

Ellalou wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic about starting this program. I like the idea of a kickstart but am concerned about not eating meat for 3 weeks. My husband has been vegan before but I brought him back to the carnivore life. He's ready to return to a vegan lifestyle for solid health reasons as well as environmental issues, etc. Me? I want to feel better, lose weight and be healthier. This seems to be a good plan but I am concerned about my food allergies and intolerances.

I'm severely allergic to eggs---I'd die if I ate one or any food cross-contaminated with eggs; naturally another positive reason for a true vegan diet. But, red peppers make me sick as does yogurt and a few other foods. Why are red peppers predominant in many of the recipes? Are they necessary? What do they bring to the recipe?

Thanks!

In some recipes, they're for color (like the roasted pepper hummus recipe) - feel free to leave it out or sub for something else (try spinach in place of peppers in hummus for example or use finely grated carrot if you like the color better than green or just leave it all out and have beige hummus). In other recipes, they're there because of the color, texture, flavor, and nutrient content. But again, there are lots of other ways to get those things.

Yogurt (standard dairy yogurt) is not vegan anyhow so no worries there - it's not in the kickstart. Do you react to the live cultures or is it dairy? If it's dairy, then try some of the non-dairy/vegan yogurts (soy, coconut, rice, etc) If it's the live cultures, then yeah, that's out.

Again, if it's an allergy, by all means leave that thing out - and pop in to ask for specific ways to substitute for it. There are folks here who have all sorts of health issues - celiac, soy allergies, diabetes, other allergies, etc. so we can certainly figure out options.

--Deb R

Deb, thanks for the encouragement and explanations about the red peppers. Yes, it is the culture I'm allergic to in the yogurt so that's out for me. Do you know of some good substitutions for wheat? I use spelt flour and oat flour for muffins, try buy rice pasta and limit my bread intake. Any other ideas? It's not the gluten but the wheat itself that is my issue. I noticed that some pasta's do contain eggs too.

Bugsmom wrote:

Ellalou wrote:

Thanks!

--Deb R

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I know this might sound silly, but do you have to follow each recipe for each day exactly? I am not a fan of curry, or tomatoes...but I do love veggie soup. So can I substitute that kind of stuff?

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Hi Cara,

The quick answer is no. You don't have to follow the recipes and meal plan exactly. They are there to help those who are new to this way of eating and need ideas.
Follow the principle of a low fat vegan way of eating and you will be fine.

I know from experience (my first kickstart) that I was so excited about finding new vegan foods in the supermarket that I ate a lot of vegan junk food such as chocolate chip cookies. I wondered why I was not loosing weight when others were. Duh! I know better now. Its all learning. I didn't like black beans when I first tried them but now they are a staple in many of my recipes and I wonder what I would do without them.

Good luck with it all.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hello,
I've been a vegetarian for years and have been thinking about going vegan for a while now and this has given me the incentive to go for it Very Happy

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM

kiwi wrote:

Hi Cara,

The quick answer is no. You don't have to follow the recipes and meal plan exactly. They are there to help those who are new to this way of eating and need ideas.
Follow the principle of a low fat vegan way of eating and you will be fine.

I know from experience (my first kickstart) that I was so excited about finding new vegan foods in the supermarket that I ate a lot of vegan junk food such as chocolate chip cookies. I wondered why I was not loosing weight when others were. Duh! I know better now. Its all learning. I didn't like black beans when I first tried them but now they are a staple in many of my recipes and I wonder what I would do without them.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks for that information! I think the first time I went "vegan" I did just that, and yes, I gained a LOT of weight. But no worries this time. I've been pretty much eating clean all week (with the exception of restaurant french toast yesterday) and I have noticed that my INSATIABLE sweet tooth has all but disappeared! Smile I used to work in a bakery, and it was hard not to eat it all, but I am now a stay home wife, and eating clean and suddenly sugary things just don't look very good any more.

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Ellalou wrote:

Thanks!

Hi Ellalou,

Welcome!

I am repeatdely impressed and humbled by the changes people make to eat whole-food, plant based when they have the additional challenges of food sensitivities. When you see what others have done, you'll be inspired! Just today one of my readers on Facebook posted this that I thought I'd share with you; we were talking about the Simple Food Plan that I had written about here The 5 food groups: My simple plan for a whole foods, low-fat, plant-based diet

Quote:

To me it is mostly Brown rice + veggie + fruit + flax, + Greens - on the Esselstyn plan for heart attack survivors. We used to eat oatmeal for breakfast, but first my wife became allergic to oats, now so am I... I ate them all my life, but now even the gluten free ones bother me. I'm perplexed by it. For us it is a lot of restriction due to allergies and health problems. We're also gluten free, wheat free, no mushrooms, no bread, sugar, flour or pasta. It's hard...but worth it.

They are doing wonderfully, and report in to me each week about their health gains.

So glad you'll be joining us! Stay connected here in forums.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Hi everybody. I am excited about the 21 day kickstart. I started eating vegetarian about 4 years ago and I tried vegan eating for a peroid of time through the E2 diet plan and I lost weight fast. I went off of my eating plan and got a stressful job and I gained a lot of the weight back. So I am really going to try to stick to this because I know the benefits are worth it. I am just trying to figure out the time factor though. Planning is everything when you are busy. I am finding that I have to simplify this plan though because of the time pinch. So I use canned beans and salsa for example and I am stocked up on veggies. I am going to make one new recipie a week also. My family is not vegetarian but they eat a lot of the things that I make. I look forward to reading everyone's posts and seeing how others overcome their challenges Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 524 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org