21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] WELCOME Kickstarters!
Created on: 03/27/12 04:15 PM Views: 19730 Replies: 77
RE: WELCOME Kickstarters!
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM

My first foray into a vegan diet. My husband has followed a vegetarian diet for a number of years and my diet has been predominantly meatless.

I am allergic to corn and my ND asked me to follow a gluten and dairy-free diet since the beginning of the year. With the elimination of dairy, my diet became vegan with an occasional serving of chicken or fish.

The only hold-out in our family, is our 17 year old daughter, who claims she is a happy omnivore, but is willing to eat a predominantly plant-based diet if she can have a grilled cheese sandwich at home or a fish taco when we go out to eat.

Looking forward to learning new recipes and trying some new dishes during this kickstart.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to vegan eating & cooking so I'm sure this forum will help me a lot. I have about 20 lbs to lose, but have no other health issues. My main reason for joining the 21 day kickstart challenge is to focus on overall fitness. A plant-based diet & daily exercise will help get me there. I also like the idea of supporting, in my own small way, the environment & ethical treatment of animals. I'm looking forward to the forum posts & recipes to help in my efforts.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Aloha and thank you!
Though I am not a newcomer to the vegan lifestyle, I am using this kickstart to strive for a more consistent healthier, plant-based vegan diet.

All the best to everyone! Smile
Bekah B.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Hi, all! This is my first kickstart. I am excited! I have been vegetarian/vegan on and off in my life, but would like to really commit to the lifestyle. I am hopefully optimistic, but I am concerned about sabotaging myself - usually it is sabotage by chocolate. Wink Hopefully the support will be helpful!

Best!
Rachel

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Indeed, a wonderful program and the best forum ever. It's good to be back, and see familiar names, as well as lots of new ones. Smile

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I signed up once before to participate in the Kickstart, but it never really happened. About 2 years ago I became pescatarian because I had read some research which indicated that kind of diet would help with my depression. It has definitely made a change! Now, as someone with quite a few pounds to lose and looking for an even bigger improvement in my overall health, I'm inspired by my best friend who has been vegan for several years.

My biggest challenge is going to be cheese! Does anybody have any recommendations? I have already started to give up cheese (it's been nearly a week now) but I'm definitely craving it. That's part of why I decided to sign up for the program this time around and go through with it. I know I eat too much cheese and will need as much support as I can get to be able to give it up. I don't have the same problem with other dairy, I either don't eat it or have made a successful switch to plant-based version.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM

smth700 wrote:

I am hopefully optimistic, but I am concerned about sabotaging myself - usually it is sabotage by chocolate.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

If it gets too hard have a little bit of chocolate but make sure its vegan. Some of the darker chocolate brands are. I find that if I tell myself I cant have it and go without for a couple of weeks I am more likely to binge and have a whole block in one setting rather than just a piece or two more often.

I have also changed my thinking from "I want it but I cant have it" (makes me feel deprived and unhappy) to "I can have it but I dont want it". That makes me feel in control.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Robnbrwn wrote:

re: Bread

I'm letting my husband (the current homemaker in our family) do most of the legwork on this. He found in the Kickstart book something that said only Pumpernickel or Rye. If we can use genuine Whole Grain breads, then I'm good.

Although, I would still love to find *any* bread machine recipes for whole grain bread. If you've got them, could you share?

Thanks!

Robin

I am a bread fan. There are several bakeries in the city I live in but only one that makes a real wholemeal sourdough bread that is vegan. It is denser and a little more expensive but I eat less of it as it is more filling. The lady at the bakery told me one day that she has found out that the majority of those who buy this particular bread only eat that bread - no other breads. It wasnt until later that I thought I should have asked her if they were also vegan. I have a feeling they may well have been.

It wasnt until I changed from vegetarian to vegan that I found out how many breads have milk in them.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 3:03 AM

TacoRevolution wrote:

My biggest challenge is going to be cheese! Does anybody have any recommendations? I have already started to give up cheese (it's been nearly a week now) but I'm definitely craving it. That's part of why I decided to sign up for the program this time around and go through with it. I know I eat too much cheese and will need as much support as I can get to be able to give it up. I don't have the same problem with other dairy, I either don't eat it or have made a successful switch to plant-based version.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Hi,

i can emphathize with you as giving up cheese was definately the hardest. I had cravings and also had to learn to cook wihtout it as I put cheese in most dishes.

I got it out of the house so I wasnt tempted at home.

I had to explain to my mother who also likes to cook with cheese that I was no longer eating it.

Then I went cold turkey at the beginning of my first kickstart in January 2011.

I got a couple of great vegan recipe books that have "cheese" recipes such as the Happy Herbivore and I also found a vegan cheese substitute in a local health food/organic store I like. I only have that for special occasions/meals as its fairly high in salt and expensive. I tried another brand that was absolutely disgusting. So if you find a çheese substitute you dont like keep looking as you may find a brand you do.

I read posts in the kickstart forum about how bad cheese was and that its a big lump of fat. That helped with my motivation to not go back.

It still took me 6 months to stop wanting cheese. I felt like a Cheeseaholic who was scared to even have a little bit in case I started eating lots of cheese again.

It took me a full year to get to the stage I am at now where I now dont like the feel or smell of cheese and have no desire for it at all. Just dont want it in any way.

I guess my message is give yourself time. Cheese really can be a highly addictive food for some people.

Edited 04/03/12 3:14 AM
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Hi everyone. This is my ..... 2nd try at being vegan.

I lurk, but that is about all. Thanks for all the new information. And it is so nice to see so many people here. Very Happy

I have a lot of reading to do, just wanted to say "Good morning, and thank you." (I so enjoy reading how well people are doing on the vegan diet.)

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM

kiwi wrote:

Hi,

i can emphathize with you as giving up cheese was definately the hardest. I had cravings and also had to learn to cook wihtout it as I put cheese in most dishes.

I got it out of the house so I wasnt tempted at home.

I had to explain to my mother who also likes to cook with cheese that I was no longer eating it.

Then I went cold turkey at the beginning of my first kickstart in January 2011.

I got a couple of great vegan recipe books that have "cheese" recipes such as the Happy Herbivore and I also found a vegan cheese substitute in a local health food/organic store I like. I only have that for special occasions/meals as its fairly high in salt and expensive. I tried another brand that was absolutely disgusting. So if you find a çheese substitute you dont like keep looking as you may find a brand you do.

I read posts in the kickstart forum about how bad cheese was and that its a big lump of fat. That helped with my motivation to not go back.

It still took me 6 months to stop wanting cheese. I felt like a Cheeseaholic who was scared to even have a little bit in case I started eating lots of cheese again.

It took me a full year to get to the stage I am at now where I now dont like the feel or smell of cheese and have no desire for it at all. Just dont want it in any way.

I guess my message is give yourself time. Cheese really can be a highly addictive food for some people.

kiwi-

Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear from someone who had trouble and successfully kicked the habit. I know what you mean about feeling like a Cheeseaholic; I fear that if I allow myself cheese if I go out to eat or to dinner at a family member's house, just to make things easier, that I'll end up craving it even more. It sounds like I just need to be patient, strong, and not beat myself up if I slip up, which is something I have a tendency to do.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM

As a recent Vegan, I had trouble liking it at first. The one thing I need to have still is pizza. Living in New York State, I just cant imagine a pizza without cheese, so I tried Daiya mozz, it sucked, really industrial, gooey, biproducty taste, but some places where I didn't put it on too thickly, it was tolerable, good even. So I just cut way back on it, to like a third. I can even eat pizza without cheese, but it's not pizza then, it's tomato bread, so now I get about 3 large sized pizzas out of a single Daiya package, and it's pretty delicious. Hope that helps if you have the pizza problem.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Brittlecap-

I have used Daiya before and find it better than other vegan "cheese" but still not up to standards. Maybe I've been putting it on too thickly too. I'll have to remember to use a light hand. Thanks!

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I'm glad to hear there are other chocoholics!

This is my first attempt at veganism. I have been trying it on and off the last few weeks to prepare. Feeling great, healthy, strong, and in control of my eating--Except chocolate! I finally went out yesterday and bought a Trader Joe's chocolate bar. It was vegan--but I'm realizing I could gain weight on this by justifying "I can eat a chocolate bar--it's vegan!"

Do your chocolate cravings start to go away? Or do you just have to moderate them and not fall off the wagon with guilt?

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am totally new to the vegan/vegetarian based diet. I started this diet about 2 weeks ago and already have seen results, feeling much better with increased energy. I looked over the 21 day menu and think it is very helpful for me since one of the problem has been determining proper seasoning.

I am looking forward to this new adventure.

Noriko

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am totally new to the vegan/vegetarian based diet. I started this diet about 2 weeks ago and already have seen results, feeling much better with increased energy. I looked over the 21 day menu and think it is very helpful for me since one of the problem has been determining proper seasoning.

Noriko

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

Noriko

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I've been actively vegan for 2 months and feel really good. I'm excited about the Kickstart to work through the more subtle aspects of the change. I'm looking at the menus and am confused.... I know this is not a calorie thing, but if my math is right, each day (if Kickstart recipes are followed) is approx 1000 calories. That doesn't seem sufficient for either gender. What am I missing? Good luck everyone!!!!

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Brittlecap wrote:

As a recent Vegan, I had trouble liking it at first. The one thing I need to have still is pizza. Living in New York State, I just cant imagine a pizza without cheese, so I tried Daiya mozz, it sucked, really industrial, gooey, biproducty taste, but some places where I didn't put it on too thickly, it was tolerable, good even. So I just cut way back on it, to like a third. I can even eat pizza without cheese, but it's not pizza then, it's tomato bread, so now I get about 3 large sized pizzas out of a single Daiya package, and it's pretty delicious. Hope that helps if you have the pizza problem.

This may sound like sacrilege but I've found that if I don't have the tomato sauce on a pizza I don't need the mozz. Spread a nice layer of the roasted red pepper hummus (kickstart recipe) on the crust and then add veggies. Note that it's hard but not impossible to find this sort of thing commercially - we only make our own pizza so we know it's vegan, whole grain, and so on. If you're making your own, be sure to cook the crust first THEN add toppings and pop it back in again otherwise the crust gets soggy. There is a pizza chain here in CT (not sure how widespread it is) whose founder is lactose intolerant so they make a cheeseless pizza that is reportedly really tasty. And once the cheese is off, assuming no sausage or anything, it's VEGAN. Tomato sauce, veggies, a good hearty crust - yeah that's pizza. For that matter, check out what the Italians consider 'pizza' compared to what we do to it here in the US - very different (more like bruschetta than the overloaded gooey stuff we have).

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Unfortunately, I signed up for the April kickstart but I'm not in a position to really follow it closely right now Embarassed . I have a lot going on with looking for work and gearing up to move back to the US this summer. I also don't have much control right now over my food preparation and a lot of temptations that I normally don't have around me. So I'm going to do my very best to stay at least vegan and as low fat as I can manage for the few meals I do have control over. But it's not going to be like I like it to be.

However, I'll be all settled back in the States definitely by September when the next kickstart begins. I bought the kickstart book so I can have at least something with me. I plan on joining in September fully and completely. By that time, I'll be on my own without the temptations around me and will have complete control over what I buy and what I cook and I'll also be able to exercise with some regularity. So I'm looking forward to it!

Djuna

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 70 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org