21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: weight gain and the upcoming Passover holiday
Created on: 02/07/12 08:00 AM Views: 1323 Replies: 4
weight gain and the upcoming Passover holiday
Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

While I admit to not being 100% true to the 21 day kickstart, I did eat more vegan than not. And with that, a lot more grains (although whole) than before. My weight has skyrocketed Sad
I used to eat chicken with a lot of salad and feel fuller than I do now.

Along these lines - trying to be Vegan during the holiday of Passover is going to be very challenging. No beans, grains or legumes allowed. Quinoa is okay. Hopefully there will be spelt matza. But here we go again with tons of carbs!

If anyone has advice or encouragement - I need some!!

Thanks,
Fran

RE: weight gain and the upcoming Passover holiday
Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Fran wrote:

While I admit to not being 100% true to the 21 day kickstart, I did eat more vegan than not. And with that, a lot more grains (although whole) than before. My weight has skyrocketed Sad
I used to eat chicken with a lot of salad and feel fuller than I do now.

Along these lines - trying to be Vegan during the holiday of Passover is going to be very challenging. No beans, grains or legumes allowed. Quinoa is okay. Hopefully there will be spelt matza. But here we go again with tons of carbs!

If anyone has advice or encouragement - I need some!!

Thanks,
Fran

There's no prohibition that I know of during Passover for eating vegetables and fruits. Odds are that you've been going really heavy on the grains and leaning out on the vegetables (having them as a small side dish). Go back to that big salad and have a side of quinoa. Or, have a big plate of whatever greens you like (chard, kale, etc) and toss in the grains with it - for instance, we'll have chard with quinoa and chickpeas. Add a little sauce (my son likes it with soy sauce, I like it with a dash of good balsamic vinegar, my hubby likes his hot sauce). It's filling enough to satisfy me, my 13 yr old growing boy, and my 6' 300 lb hubby - we just all eat different amounts.

Also, consider (if you haven't) eating more than 3 meals per day. Have 3 smaller "meals" and add in fruit and vegetable snacks (celery sticks with hummus for example) - of course that will have to wait until after Passover since hummus is chckpeas (garbanzo beans). That way you never get over-hungry.

The one thing I know for sure, for me, is that if I keep things like olive oil and nuts in the menu, I'll gain weight pretty quickly and not lose it until I cut them back out again.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

It is difficult to pinpoint why your weight would go up while eating an omnivorous diet. Eating more nutrient-dense foods (like fruits and vegetables) is always a good thing, but it is not the only factor in healthy weight loss/maintenance, if that is your goal.

If weight is a concern, I would highly recommend trying the 21-day Kickstart again, and committing to its principles 100 percent for that short time. That means, most importantly, no animal products. Secondly, keeping the fats low, even plant-fats, such as oils. I also recommend consuming as many whole foods as possible - fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains.

As for Passover, no problem! There are so many websites providing ideas and recipes for vegans on this holiday. For example: http://www.cancerproject.org/recipes/holiday/easter_and_passover.php.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

thanks for the replies. Eating fresh salads are hard on my stomach (and I sit in an office with other people!), so cooked veggies are better for me. The ideas of big salads with some grains and beans are great ideas - but don't work that well for me.

Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Fran wrote:

thanks for the replies. Eating fresh salads are hard on my stomach (and I sit in an office with other people!), so cooked veggies are better for me. The ideas of big salads with some grains and beans are great ideas - but don't work that well for me.

Then have a big plate of cooked veggies - check out the Power Plate - it's 50% veggies, 25% protein, 25% starch (like rice or potato). In the example I gave above, the chard/kale/spinach are usually sauted, then mixed with the quinoa and chickpeas. All cooked food. Another good one is soup - a good veggie stock with bunches of veggies - carrot, celery, kale, sweet potato, winter squash, golden beets (the red ones work too but the result is bright fuchsia!), turnips, parsnips, etc. Then throw in some beans or lentils. Soups are very filling, warm, satisfying but also high in water content so you get full on less. Add a small handful of whole grain crackers or a slice of whole grain bread/toast and you've got a major meal.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 615 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org