21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: What a Difference
Created on: 03/11/13 02:42 PM Views: 3817 Replies: 19
What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I'm so excited it's only been a week and I already feel so much better. It has been easier then I thought. Although the hardest thing to give up is dairy....However every time I'm tempted I just picture myself in a deep grave and all the animals I put through so much suffering just so I can have a moment of pleasure....These thoughts are what I know will keep me from ever going back... what thoughts help you keep yourself strong in your Vegan lifestyle? I know it's only a week but I'm sure it's usually the hardest...I'm I right?

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I think your post is so funny...I had lunch with a friend today and said virtually the same thing.

I stopped eating dairy because of a recent allergy to it. Despite the fact that I have issues when I eat dairy I am still finding it harder to give up than meat.

I do not give a second thought to not eating meat of any kind but dairy...a tough one.

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Dr. Barnard has said that dairy (cheese specifically) is often the hardest and last thing given up when going on a vegan diet. A replacement for ice cream, try "Purely Decadent". I've tried different ones and this is the only one I've found that is fantastic! It comes in a variety of flavors, all of which are great. Now cheese, I haven't found a good replacement for, but I have just gotten a copy of the cookbook "Artisan Vegan Cheese", so I'm hoping by experimenting with the recipes in there I can come up with something. For non-dairy yogurt, my personal favorite is made with Almond milk.

Jennifer

Edited 03/11/13 4:23 PM
RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Darcyh wrote:

I think your post is so funny...I had lunch with a friend today and said virtually the same thing.

I stopped eating dairy because of a recent allergy to it. Despite the fact that I have issues when I eat dairy I am still finding it harder to give up than meat.

I do not give a second thought to not eating meat of any kind but dairy...a tough one.

Yes dairy is soooo addictive! Eggs are not a problem cuz I've never really cared for them....But you are right Dairy is such a drug! Evil or Very Mad You can do it!

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM

dodink58 wrote:

Dr. Barnard has said that dairy (cheese specifically) is often the hardest and last thing given up when going on a vegan diet. A replacement for ice cream, try "Purely Decadent". I've tried different ones and this is the only one I've found that is fantastic! It comes in a variety of flavors, all of which are great. Now cheese, I haven't found a good replacement for, but I have just gotten a copy of the cookbook "Artisan Vegan Cheese", so I'm hoping by experimenting with the recipes in there I can come up with something. For non-dairy yogurt, my personal favorite is made with Almond milk.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer.... one question what do you use for coffee creamer....? I love my coffee and want to use something that will make my coffee taste creamy.

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I loved ice cream and our local store has a great selection of vegan ice cream love a chocolate one I found.

I did not like the first vegan cheese I found have to keep looking.

But dairy causes severe joint pain and I can tell immediately if I ate some. Most of the time I try not to because it hurts to eat it...but I can also be numb and do it anyway...

Eggs were easy to give up also. This morning I watched my daughter making her breakfast and she cracked an egg. I lost my appetite right then and there.

It is amazing how fast the mental change can be for some foods and how long (and stupid) I can be when it comes to others.

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I know exactly what you mean Darcy... that is why I need to keep my mind clear and be realistic about what really happens to the poor animals.... whether it's meat, eggs, or dairy...

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Sorry, I take my coffee "straight" -- no sugar or creamer. At Whole Foods I've seen some non-dairy liquid creamers in the dairy cooler section. Sometimes I'll add a sprinkle of cinnamon to my coffee for flavoring.

Jennifer

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM

dodink58 wrote:

Sorry, I take my coffee "straight" -- no sugar or creamer. At Whole Foods I've seen some non-dairy liquid creamers in the dairy cooler section. Sometimes I'll add a sprinkle of cinnamon to my coffee for flavoring.

Jennifer

I will have to go and check it out... cinnamon sounds like a great option.

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Maryal22, I love the passion you show. I was the same way in the beginning. I started out with concern for my health and the food politics in this country. I was walking about preaching the glories of vegetables, saying ‘do you know about a plant-based diet?’

Now, I am driven by my spirit of compassion. That’s my motivation, my health, my lifestyle, the great people I meet because of my choices, are all big, wonderful gifts. I feel the changes in my life for choosing a higher way of life instead a life unaware, without compassion makes me feel blessed. For me it just keeps getting better and better.

RE: What a Difference
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

anita wrote:

Maryal22, I love the passion you show. I was the same way in the beginning. I started out with concern for my health and the food politics in this country. I was walking about preaching the glories of vegetables, saying ‘do you know about a plant-based diet?’

Now, I am driven by my spirit of compassion. That’s my motivation, my health, my lifestyle, the great people I meet because of my choices, are all big, wonderful gifts. I feel the changes in my life for choosing a higher way of life instead a life unaware, without compassion makes me feel blessed. For me it just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you. I am very passionate about it. I feel that I've finally found a way of life that makes me happy and guilt free. I'm excited and of course a bit nervous but I'm hoping for a lifestyle change and not just a short term thing....

RE: What a Difference
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Cheese was the hardest thing for me to give up too. It was the reason I was a vegetarian for 11 years before going [mostly] vegan (though now I'm completely whole-food, plant-based). When I gave up meat, I was a pretty big carnivore but I kept picture all the animals in the factory farms and I said, "No, I can't eat that burger. It is not worth that." With the cheese, I keep reminding myself how much unhealthy fat is in there and how much it is linked to cancer. But that is the best part about this lifestyle. There are so many benefits to eating this way, its ridiculous! I'm passionate about so many of them, you couldn't pay me to eat the way I used to.

Glad to have you on board!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

RE: What a Difference
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Thank you Amanda. I am glad I found this community of people that share the same ideas.

RE: What a Difference
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

The hardest thing? chocolate, chocolate and donuts..lol Sorry I'm having a hard time without my chocolate. My favorite brands all are made with milk and other animal products.

I use coconut milk(so Delicious brand) as a creamer for the coffee and it tastes really good.

any good v-choclate brands?? I tried some made with rice milk and it didn't really taste good..ugh

RE: What a Difference
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Have you tried ordering from TheVeganStore.com? Although I've not tried any of it, they have lots of different chocolates. I've been very happy with everything else I've gotten through there.

Jennifer

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Oddly enough, Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips (the ones in the gold package or the mini chips in the silver package) contain no milk fat (the main reason most chocolate is not vegan). It does contain sugar (which may be processed with bone char) so you'll have to make your own call on that. But, those are readily enough available that we use them for day to day chocolate options and only go out to the vegan chocolate shoppe every once in a while (too $$$ for routine snacks). We make chocolate pudding (plant milk, chocolate chips, raw cocoa powder, evaporated cane juice, vanilla, corn starch) that is awesome (dug up the recipe online somewhere). I've adapted our favorite brownie recipe to vegan (vegan margarine, cocoa powder, ground flaxseed + water + baking powder for eggs, etc). Also, with the chocolate chips, we melt them and make our own nuts & dried fruit bark, chocolate covered pretzels, and other such 'treats' (and they are just that, once in a while things or something to bring to a social gathering that we are comfortable munching).
--DebR

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I don't like Chocolate so I guess I'm lucky that way....The only type of chocolate I like is dark and that one has no milk at all... good luck! Hope you find a Delish Chocolate alternative!

RE: What a Difference
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Maryal22 wrote:

I don't like Chocolate so I guess I'm lucky that way....The only type of chocolate I like is dark and that one has no milk at all... good luck! Hope you find a Delish Chocolate alternative!

be sure to check the ingredients - for example, the Ghirardelli bittersweet (which is the darker chocolate) has milk fat in the ingredients but the semi sweet doesn't. Also, the 86% dark squares have milk fat but the 72% don't. Go figure.
--DebR

RE: What a Difference
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM

You can always get a chocolate fix with baking vegan brownies and such with cocoa powder.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

RE: What a Difference
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Oh good to know..... I do check but I thought all Dark chocolate was vegan. Shocked


New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 661 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org