21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Doctors
Created on: 02/07/12 09:33 PM Views: 1643 Replies: 5
Doctors
Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I just made my appointments for my yearly physical and check up with my D.O. and cardiologist. I just wondered what I might expect when I tell them I have switched to vegan. Has anyone had negative feedback? I would like to be prepared.

RE: Doctors
Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I have not had negative feedback from doctors other than the normal protein, calcium, vitamin B, and vitamin D. All the things that get posted here. A quick comment about following DR Barnard, DR McDougall, get the DR part? That normally takes care of everything! Smile

Some people are even quite positive about it. Good luck!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM

My old standby is the American Dietetic Association's position paper on vegetarian/vegan diets which states that vegan diets are not only nutritionally adequate but beneficial for certain chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.

Also feel free to give out my email! slevin@pcrm.org

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Actually, we didn't "tell" the doctor much of anything. When he asked how hubby and I had lost weight and improved hubby's cholesterol and bp numbers, we just said we had switched to a plant based way of eating, lots of veg, fruit, whole grains, beans/legumes. I think hubby may have mentioned the kickstart way back when we did the first one as something we were "trying". But then, this is the same doctor who referred hubby to the DASH plan (dietary approache to stopping hypertension before prescribing bp meds for him. So, he's not at all averse to using food (and exercise...lifestyle changes) as the first line of defense. Only after that 'plateaus' does he move to meds to take up any unaccounted for slack (genetic component of hypertension for instance). He hasn't commented on it since hubby first mentioned it over a year ago (and I see him 4 times per year, hubby twice).
--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

My GP is totally on board with it, runs the appropriate lab tests for B12 and vitamin D to make sure my levels are good. She tells me if all her patients were as healthy as me she would be out of business!

My husband's cardiologist is a vegan and strongly recommended a low fat vegetarian diet for him, ideally vegan, but at the very least, low-fat vegetarian.

If my doctor was even remotely negative about my diet I would change doctors, not diet.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Thank you for the input.I've always been one to be prepared for anything.Years ago we tried the Atkins diet. Dr. Atkins being a cardiologist, I thought my cardiologist would be in favor of the diet, but he strongly disagreed and wanted me to eat more fruits and vegetables.We live and exercise at high altitude and he said the diet robbed us of the proper oxygen in our blood.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 305 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org