21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Queasy
Created on: 02/07/12 09:53 PM Views: 1609 Replies: 5
Queasy
Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I cold turkey switched to vegan in November. I felt fantastic right away.For three months I have not experienced this.The last 3 weeks, I have 1 day of energy.The rest of the week, I am nauseated, my stomach is queasy and I feel like I could vomit after eating.I have only altered my foods to see if what I ate made a difference.I am having plenty of protein, I take my sublingal B-12, my refrigerated pro biotic,lot's of greens, quinoa,etc.I thought I should increase my water consumption and ended up with diarrhea.Some days my color looks off, I look very pale, almost orange.
Today I noticed that if I increased my fats-a handful of pistachio nuts,14gr.fat, I felt better. Until my stomach was empty again.Any suggestions?

RE: Queasy
Posted Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Off the top I would say monitor gluten/wheat. I would give your body a 3 week rest from EVERY SINGLE CRUMB of anything with gluten and see how you feel. The pale color is what gives me this impression. I have celiac disease and what you describe is what I feel when my food is cross contatminated or if I eat gluten knowingly or not.

I have to stress to you, truly emphasize, that if you do not get hypervigilent about every single thing you ingest you will not get an accurate test. Such as soy sauce, juices, salad dressings, some toothpaste, basically if it has a label, stay away for those 3 weeks. No kamut, spelt, barley (that is in a lot of teas!), triticale, wheat, cous cous, oats that do not specificy gluten free, rye, semolina, hmmmm I think I named them all.

I truly takes my body about 6 weeks to recover from ingesting gluten, but a 3 week trial may give you an idea if you will get any relief. If you can handle 6 weeks that would be best.

It isn't as hard as you may think. It is basically what is taught here, but in a bigger way. Eat NOTHING processed. Eat whole grains, quinoa, brown rice. Eat lots of veggies and fruits.

A lot of people get caught up in ~ what no bread? Pasta, crackers? But those are ALL processed by someone other than you. There may be healthy versions, but if you don't make it yourself, you don't truly know what is in it.

Best wishes,

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 02/07/12 10:20 PM
Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 6:12 AM

I would like to encourage you to check in with a health care professional, just to make sure there is not something else going on here (Kym noted one possibility).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have an appointment set to see my doctor next month. I have a hard time thinking this is a gluten problem as spaghetti was one of the things that settled my stomach.I ate it last night and actually woke up today with energy and feeling good. I have never had a problem with gluten in the past.Also,3 months ago when we started this,to transition at first, I was relying quite a bit on spaghetti, breads,etc. and I had no issue.The fact that I have incorporated a lot more vegetables into my diet,eating healthier than I ever have been before, seems to be the problem.Can vegetables be hard on the stomach?

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Sometimes it's good to talk something out. I went to Vitamin Cottage and spoke with the clerk in vitamins. I explained my queasiness and she suggested I stop my Multivitamin.(Which is one of the changes I made 3 weeks ago). She said she has spoken to quite a few people that get queasy from them. That is my next step as it would also explain why I feel worse in the morning.(when I take it).

Posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

linnie81 wrote:

Sometimes it's good to talk something out. I went to Vitamin Cottage and spoke with the clerk in vitamins. I explained my queasiness and she suggested I stop my Multivitamin.(Which is one of the changes I made 3 weeks ago). She said she has spoken to quite a few people that get queasy from them. That is my next step as it would also explain why I feel worse in the morning.(when I take it).

Most multis have instructions that say to have with a FULL glass of water and food. If you are going light on breakfast and/or taking the vitamin with your morning coffee, that could certainly lead to stomach upset. There are a few (i was just looking at the vitamin shelf the other day) that specifically note "can be taken without food" but in general, they need to go down after you've eaten.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 416 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org