21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Instant Karma, or Why I'll be Vegan for Life
Created on: 02/22/14 04:24 PM Views: 437 Replies: 4
Instant Karma, or Why I'll be Vegan for Life
Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Hey everyone -

Hope your vegan adventure is going well.

When I started the kickstart at the beginning of the year, one of my goals was to see a visible reduction in the swollen salivary glands on my face, in front of my ears. I looked like an orangutan to me. After only 8 days eating low-fat vegan I felt the back corner jawbones again for the first time in YEARS and my face was indeed visibly far less swollen. I was shocked it could happen so soon, and EVERYONE noticed.

I'm not sure of the mechanism that made that happen, but after reading up it's possible a leaky gut situation was remedied by such a low-fat diet and the animal proteins that had been escaping into my bloodstream and causing (several) auto-immune reactions were now absent. Or maybe considering my food as medicine and giving it the wonderful whole foods without the fat coating up my guts so I could actually absorb the nutrition helped shrink my glands. Probably a little of both!

I've been enjoying the food and the health since the new year. I'm really feeling great! We went out to dinner on Thursday where I unapologetically had a "treat" of green bean "fries" (yes, perfectly good green beans, battered and deep fried…) dipped in wasabi mayo, and a few bites of other cheesy "goodies" and I'll give you three guesses what happened to my face. No, I didn't grow a beard - interesting guess, tho! Wink Yes, the glands in my face became swollen up just like they were on December 31 of last year.

HA! That will teach me to indulge PMS… LOL - Experiment tried, and FAILED! Actually I feel kind of thankful the reaction was so quick - no mistaking what happened. Another benefit, my husband FINALLY GETS IT. No more "can't you just have a bite?" BTW, I tell him I can have anything I want, I choose not to. Wink

I just wanted to share that story. I know for a fact that FOR ME, I've never felt better or had more energy eating this way, and if I needed any proof that certain foods are unneccessary and harmful to my body, I got it and right swiftly! It's been 2 days since that one meal, and my glands are on the way down again.

Happy trails and kale chips! Very Happy

~ Sapphire

RE: Instant Karma, or Why I'll be Vegan for Life
Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I have leaky gut problems also. Do you have any problems with the legumes or nuts on the Vegan Kickstart program? I am curious about your rapid reaction. It makes me wonder if the animal proteins I am now consuming because I believe legumes and some nuts are problems for me. Perhaps it is the animal proteins now causing me problems.

Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 6:24 PM

schweitzer53 wrote:

I have leaky gut problems also. Do you have any problems with the legumes or nuts on the Vegan Kickstart program? I am curious about your rapid reaction. It makes me wonder if the animal proteins I am now consuming because I believe legumes and some nuts are problems for me. Perhaps it is the animal proteins now causing me problems.

I would have never guessed I had a leaky gut problem until I read about it, and I'm not 100% sure that's what is going on, but for sure cutting out animal products has helped me. I don't have a problem with the legumes at all, and my nut intake is very low. If you're not sure what is causing you trouble, why not cut out the animal products and see if you feel better.

If the problem is gas from the beans you can start with smaller amounts, or have lentils which I think are easier on the guts. Smile

Do you have auto-immune symptoms? I'm really starting to think a LF vegan diet could help a lot of people.

Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Thank you for your response. I am going to give it a try and try to include small amounts of beans. I have some navy beans soaking right now. Next I will try lentils. I do have auto-immune issues. I have psoriasis and at times can be very achey in my joints. I think I also have SIBO and have to be careful of too much sugar from fruit or even starches such as brown rice or yams. Maybe I can lower the inflammation enough to be able to tolerate the healthy starches and fruits

Posted Sunday, February 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Thank you for sharing - FASCINATING. This diet never ceases to amaze me.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 415 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org