21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: marinated vegetables and mushrooms?
Created on: 02/22/14 09:00 PM Views: 584 Replies: 7
marinated vegetables and mushrooms?
Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 9:01 PM

this is silly to ask, but mushrooms, they are vegan? As..they do not quite fit into a scientific definition, of a plant kingdom.

i discovered marinated artichokes and mushrooms today and they were great! not to mention they killed the sweet cravings. thanks for the comments and more information regards the sugar / stevia. Yes, the stevia taste is not very appealing and that alone kills off a sweet craving lol.

Deb, I love the idea of the pickles and I've seen so many varieties. I guess I'll just have to try a new one each week and see how I like it. I realize that being vegan is very rewarding to try new things and I am hoping it will change my taste bud for the better, as in: actually WANTING less sweet / processed foods and actual preferences for the vegetables and fresh fruits.

RE: marinated vegetables and mushrooms?
Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Mushrooms are definately vegan. I've heard of the report you maybe referencing, but mushrooms don't have a mother and father as defined in the animal world. If it's how they grow, what about the seeds that are in tomatoes, squash, avocados? Isn't that basically the same thing?

Jen

Posted Sunday, February 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Have you ever tried oyster mushrooms? This frittata recipe is fun: http://www.pcrm.org/recipe/oyster_mushroom.html

email
Posted Sunday, February 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

@crademan: that oyster mushroom frittata sounds delicious!! Thanks for posting the link - I'll definitely try making that soon Smile

Posted Monday, February 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM

If mushrooms aren't okay, then we're in big trouble Wink We do something akin to a 'sausage and peppers' type sandwich with portabella mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, quick sauté in a skillet (just enough to get a light carmelization on the onions and sweat a little liquid from the mushrooms to create almost a sauce, the peppers get a little soft but still retain some bite). Top with either our homemade ketchup or add in some crushed or diced tomatoes to the skillet and serve on a hearty multigrain bun. We also use portabellas in fajitas to get that meaty texture and chopped up in tomato sauce over pasta.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM

We LOVE roasted mushrooms. We use the whole baby bella mushrooms, clean them up a little, chop off part of the stem if necessary... and put them in the oven buttons down to roast. These are better than the frozen ones you can buy in a bag.. and a lot better for you.

Also one of the best ever pizzas. It was hard to find a good substitute for pizza. But I got inspiration from America's test kitchen Mushroom and Leek Galette with Gorgonzola Recipe. Of course I left out the gorgonzola and turned a homemade galette crust into a pizza crust.

Who knew leeks could be so good???

https://www.facebook.com/groups/125075927567975/

Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM

kittens09 wrote:

this is silly to ask, but mushrooms, they are vegan? As..they do not quite fit into a scientific definition, of a plant kingdom.

The only way to know for sure if something's vegan is to lunge at it and see if it moves. The element of surprise is key though. And it helps if you can convince yourself that you really are about to hurt it in some way. Most creatures possess a certain degree of telepathy and can tell when your bluffing.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

LOL love your sense of humour and wit Theo!
Now I really am reminded of the cavemen / cavewomen diet. But honestly it's strange to think that, given our modern age, we have so many people trying to eat like they did in the stone age. now that to me is totally bizarre.

And, I can't help but feel really sad when they talk about eating all this meat and wild animal - things just very inconceivable to me. But, thanks again to all of you for keeping a great sense of humour =) Keeps inspiring me for sure!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 405 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org