21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: ?veganmexicanfood.com?heavy oil use?
Created on: 01/04/14 07:27 AM Views: 652 Replies: 6
?veganmexicanfood.com?heavy oil use?
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM

the recipe for tamales calls for one cup of oil?This is a recommended site? the recipes look great but am I looking at the correct link? Question

RE: ?veganmexicanfood.com?heavy oil use?
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM

No, we wouldn't recommend that! Can you share the link, so I can do some troubleshooting?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM

under "Resources" on the 21 Day vegan kickstart page, it is listed as "VeganMexican Food.com".When you click on it, it takes you to the site.

Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I suppose it depends on how much it makes - the recipe also calls for 6 1/2 cups of masa, so I'm guessing that each serving is actually just a fraction of that oil. I did a quick google and found one place that sells a bag of corn husks for tamales and it contains 200 husks. If that's the case (that the one cup of oil is divided into 200 tamales), then you've got about a quarter of a teaspoon of oil per tamale. So, as long as you're not eating a ton of them every day, it's probably not awful, even though it is added fat. Never having made tamales, I don't know if you can add other types of liquid to bind the masa.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I see! Yes, we will probably remove that link since that is very confusing. Thank you for pointing it out!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thanks... I don't eat tamales, but I am pretty sure there's a healthier alternative... maybe the masa mixed with the meat alternative ? must be a vegan mexican cookbook? Smile

Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thanks... I don't eat tamales, but I am pretty sure there's a healthier alternative... maybe the masa mixed with the meat alternative ? must be a vegan mexican cookbook? Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 294 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org