21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: New and possibly diabetic
Created on: 03/12/13 07:16 PM Views: 1143 Replies: 4
New and possibly diabetic
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Hello everyone

I am so grateful to have discovered this forum. I am not new to vegan diet, though I fell off the wagon a few years ago and have struggled to get back on ever since.

I am 42 and am now 60 lbs overweight, 40 lbs gained in the last year and a half alone. I have been struggling to stay motivated to lose weight, largely because I was -until now- only motivated by vanity.

But the frequent peeing, the constant thirst and blurry vision have become too obvious to ignore. Also I seem to be picking up every available virus, which is unusual for me. Yesterday, I screwed up the courage to go to the local clinic and ask to be tested for type 2 diabetes. I am still waiting for the lab results - the doctor also had me tested for thyroid, iron and B 12 levels.

Through the PCRM website I have learned the basics of Dr. Barnard's program for diabetes - I'll be picking up a copy of the book should that be my diagnosis.

I know that rye and pumpernickle are better than ww bread, but what about whole wheat pita bread? Also, would bran flakes be too refined? And is caffeine okay with diabetes? I'd like to abandon my sugar laden black coffee, for straight green tea - but would the caffeine in green tea be not okay?

My lab results should be in tomorrow, if there is a diabetes indicator or a thyroid issue, what should I expect from the doctor? I plan on telling her that I don't wish to go the medication route but rather the low fat, low gi plant based diet. What do doctors generally recommend. I'm not very assertive with doctors, as I rarely go , but if I knew what might be hurled at me I could rehearse my response.

I have been reading this forum and find it fantastic, really appreciate all the information and supportive enviroment. I will definately be doing the kickstart regardless of the lab outcome.

Sorry for such a long introductory post

kind regards

RE: New and possibly diabetic
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Let your doctor know your preference to try these low-fat, vegan dietary changes. Remind her/him that this plant-based approach has been approved by the American Diabetes Association!

As for caffeine - it's fine for people with diabetes. You are right that the real trouble begins with what is added to those drinks - sugar and dairy products.

There does not seem to be much trouble with breads that don't use yeast. That means pita breads tend to not raise blood sugars nor do tortillas or even pasta. Whole grain versions are always best!

I hope this helps. I'm glad you found us. We'll be here everyday!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Thank you Susan for your quick reply - it was very helpful.

The doctor's office phoned earlier and my test results came back normal. However, it's clear to me that some radical changes to my way of eating are needed. So I will be here regularly for support and information.

Thank you so much. Thank you PCRM for existing.

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Just one caveat on that caffeine note: for some diabetics, caffeine can cause random blood sugar spikes. I have no idea why, but my unscientific guess (I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV lol) is that caffeine's stimulant effect causes the liver to release extra glucose as well. So, go cautiously with it and maybe try some all herbal 'teas' - my favorite is Bengal Spice. It's got 'warm' spices like cinnamon but also some ginger and black pepper for that "wake up" hit of energy all without caffeine (no tea leaves).
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Thank you Deb, great suggestion. Bengal Spice tea is yummy, I've not had it for ages, but it will be added to my shopping list this week for sure.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 144 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org